Naming unidentified item types
issueid=81 09-16-2009 12:38 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Laukku: 56
Naming unidentified item types
Add a command, and a possibility when using items, to name unidentified item types

One very useful feature is the ability to name unidentified item types. Rogue had this, and I'd like to see this in JADE, too.

When you use an unidentified item such as a wand, and the result doesn't reveal what the item was, the game will then ask you to name that item type. For example, if you zap an oak wand at a goblin, and the message displayed is "The goblin seems to blur for a moment", you can call all oak wands something like "blurring monster". When you find another oak wand, it will be displayed as oak wand (called "blurring monster") or similiar.

There is also the ability to name items at any point during the game, by using a special command. In JADE, the key for this command could be same as naming monsters (n), and the game would ask "Name a [m]onster or an [i]tem type?". When one puts on a silver helmet and then suddenly starts teleporting around, he could then name silver helmets something like "teleportation".

This is very useful when trying to deduce what an item is, especially when you know what it is (such as in the previous helmet example) but the game won't add it to the "identified items" list. When one finds another item of the same type later, he will know what it could be and what it is not based on his previous discoveries.
Issue Details
Issue Number 81
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-12-2009 07:07 AM
Like in NH, huh? Don't like it. Why simply not add a notepad, where you can write down everything you need?

10-12-2009 12:39 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Fullmoon
Like in NH, huh? Don't like it. Why simply not add a notepad, where you can write down everything you need?
By that same logic we could get rid of the monster memory. Also, who needs automapping when you can simply draw all explored levels? :P

If a notepad would have to be used, it would quickly get very boring and tiresome to check it whenever you find an unIDed item. And if the item is a one-time-use such as a scroll, who would always remember the unIDed name of the item after it disappears?

Also, ADOM and many other roguelikes copy many other gameplay elements from Rogue. Why not this?

10-13-2009 04:40 PM
Um, OK. Probably it's because I never used this feature in NH. Maybe it is useful for somebody.

11-27-2011 04:02 AM
I don't think it would hurt to have it as an option.

EDIT: I probably wouldn't use it, though.

+ Reply