Color schemes
issueid=32 03-12-2008 12:13 PM
Number of reported issues by Marek14: 15
Color schemes
Various ways to use the colors

This is a pretty general feature which wouldn't impact the gameplay. Basically, it's about a possibility to change what the colors displayed on your screen mean, in order to get some quick, in-context information. This could be done without spending any game time, just like switching tactics.

ADOM uses colors to identify subclasses of monsters. This would be the basic mode. Here are a few more:

Alignment mode: lawful monsters will be shown in white, neutral in light gray, and chaotic in dark gray. Monsters whose alignment you don't know will be displayed in red.

Damage mode: color of monsters (and also PC) will show how much it's injured, say, blue for uninjured, light green for slightly injured, dark green for injured, light red for severly injured and dark red for critically injured. White for monsters whose injuries you can't see.

River mode (from my Rivers thread): showing the depth of water on every square.

Relation mode: showing the relation of monsters towards you (White - unaware of you, Red - aware and hostile, Green - aware and neutral, Blue - pet/companion/slave). Got this idea from the Stealth thread.
Issue Details
Issue Number 32
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-13-2008 06:26 AM
I like it. A simple toggle button that can show pertinent, topic-oriented information.

Of course, in ADoM, you could only tell the wound status of adjacent creatures. :) The range might be extended, however. (And based on perception...) HmmMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

03-25-2008 08:06 PM
Well, I am not sure if that were a good idea. Like you said, the color identifies the class of a monster. Therefore it wouldnt be that good if other color modes would last longer than 1 round. Imagine a pack of monsters of the same letter avatar (eg. wolfs). Some of them might (and probably will) be a little stronger than others (a more powerful variation of the monster). During a battle they mix together, so you cant tell where they will be in the next round. With another color mode active you cant tell which of them are stronger. Therefore I wouldnt recommend toggling the color modes on and off, but just have a button that if pushed changes the color mode and if released changes it back.

Too many color modes can get cumbersome to deal with, so maybe it would be better to have at most three buttons that can be configured to show the mode you want. IMHO i would prefer only keeping the damage mode...

03-26-2008 04:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by LordGeorgey
Well, I am not sure if that were a good idea. Like you said, the color identifies the class of a monster. Therefore it wouldnt be that good if other color modes would last longer than 1 round. Imagine a pack of monsters of the same letter avatar (eg. wolfs). Some of them might (and probably will) be a little stronger than others (a more powerful variation of the monster). During a battle they mix together, so you cant tell where they will be in the next round. With another color mode active you cant tell which of them are stronger. Therefore I wouldnt recommend toggling the color modes on and off, but just have a button that if pushed changes the color mode and if released changes it back.

Too many color modes can get cumbersome to deal with, so maybe it would be better to have at most three buttons that can be configured to show the mode you want. IMHO i would prefer only keeping the damage mode...
What would be the problem? I said that the color changes would take no game time (so you could switch among several views every round, if you were so inclined).

03-27-2008 08:10 AM
It wouldnt be a problem. I just thought, that the color modes shouldnt be toggled on and off. I would prefer that they are active only as long a button is pushed. After its released the color mode changes back to normal. Would be quicker and IMHO it would suffice.

03-28-2008 04:54 AM
Here gives:

A detailed system for morale values (on an Order...Balance...Chaos scale) and ethics (on a Good...Uncaring...Evil scale).
This relates to your alignment idea. But why should the PC immediately know the alignment of each NPC anyway? Each goblin has their own desires, goals etc. and if a troll PC can become lawful, why can't a NPC? You should have to get to know the monster before knowing its alignment.

03-28-2008 08:02 AM
Oh, I never said you should know it right away. But in ADOM, for example, a paladin has this ability, right? So I surmise there will be a similar one in JADE. I agree, an alignment view would not be very useful in most circumstances, but in some special occasions it might be worth it, if you are in areas where you know the creatures well, or if you have some means to divine their alignment.

+ Reply