Learning skills
issueid=43 03-28-2008 12:01 PM
Number of reported issues by Daemon: 1
Learning skills
Learning skills - a simple RFE

I think it would be cool if you could learn skills by doing certain things in the game world. This could become overpowered ability, of course, if not carefully handled.

For example, Peter the Paladin doesn't have the Food Preservation skill. This is very frustrating, as all of his carried corpses tend to rot away. He could, however, learn the Food Preservation skill by carrying corpses.

This could be also implemented to several other skills:

Archery = Using missile weapons
Courage = Fighting multiple enemies
Dodge = Getting attacked by enemies
Find Weakness = Critically hitting monsters
Food Preservation = Described in the example
Mining = Succesfully digging
Swimming = Moving in water
Two Weapon Combat = Fighting with two weapons

The skills mentioned above are all taken from ADOM. Some skills, Literacy, for instance, couldn't be learned this way. Also, learning skills should take a long time. Maybe they could be learned on level-up after a sufficient amount of training?

Also, Learning score should affect learning skills.

What are your opinions on this issue?
Issue Details
Issue Number 43
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-28-2008 01:57 PM
i dont know if jade will use the same system as adom, but it would be maybe better if training a skill would enhance the dice roll of the skill on level up.

lets say you train archery by using missile weapons a lot. then you level up. normaly (without any training) you would have a 1d3 dice roll for archery, but you get 2d4, because you trained so much...

03-28-2008 03:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by LordGeorgey
i dont know if jade will use the same system as adom, but it would be maybe better if training a skill would enhance the dice roll of the skill on level up.

lets say you train archery by using missile weapons a lot. then you level up. normaly (without any training) you would have a 1d3 dice roll for archery, but you get 2d4, because you trained so much...
I don't really undestand what are you saying but.. if you are talking about raising skills after leveling up.. thats not possible in JADE, TB said that levels have no effect in skills, if you want to be a better fighter, fight, not just cast spells until you level up to raise it.

03-28-2008 09:39 PM
If you have seen the JADE video it seems pretty clear that his char gained a level and increased his skills similarly to ADOM.

But since JADE has "open-ended" skills, then it wouldn't hurt to provide slight increases in skills just by using them.

03-28-2008 11:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Dougy
If you have seen the JADE video it seems pretty clear that his char gained a level and increased his skills similarly to ADOM.

But since JADE has "open-ended" skills, then it wouldn't hurt to provide slight increases in skills just by using them.
When? that was at the char creation, maybe just to chose what skills do you want

Also i watched the video again and the char was still lvl 1 then he died.

03-29-2008 06:25 AM
Quote Originally Posted by theotherhiveking
I don't really undestand what are you saying
In adom, when you level up, there is a number for each skill (on the far right) in the format +xdy+z, where x, y and z are numbers (eg. +3d5+1). If you spend a skill point on a skill, the game will throw x y-sided dice and then the skill will be enhanced by the sum of the numbers on the dice and z (for +3d5+1, its a number between 4 and 16).

So Im saying that training a skill could enhance the dice roll... If you dont want to have the possibility that the player casts only spells and then could enhance his warrior skills, then I would suggest, that every time the player levels up, the dice rolls would be set to +0. Then, if he trains a skill in some way, the dice roll would enhance according to how much he has trained it. +0 => +1 => 1d2 => 1d3 => 1d4 => 2d2 ...

Quote Originally Posted by theotherhiveking
thats not possible in JADE, TB said that levels have no effect in skills
could you show me where? ive missed that

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy
If the skills are "open ended", then there would be no need for all this (although im not absolutely sure, what do you mean with "open ended", free to raise without leveling up, or without a lvl cap?). I just thought, that jade would be similar to adom in this.

EDITED:
http://www.adom.de/jade/12249802.php3

My bad... Didnt read this before. Level will have minor influence on the game. So just forget what i said :P

+ Reply