Snow
issueid=34 03-13-2008 08:46 AM
Number of reported issues by ElDeR cHaOs GoD: 2
Snow
Snow in Jade

Simple idea but whilst ADOM had mountains, it didn't have snow! Levels of snow could be dependent on the time of year, terrain etc. Walking in snow could sap energy (reduced by wearing snow shoes etc.) Skis could give a speed boost and skiing could be a talent. Those without cold resistance or some kind of cloak could be damaged... a bit like the Ice level in ADOM.
Issue Details
Issue Number 34
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority 3
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 19
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-20-2008 02:03 AM
Ancient Member
maybe some unique terrain too, like corrupted woods that was once a normal pine forest but chaos seeped into it and now it resembles something more along the lines of a very very bad acid trip....only its not a trip!

03-20-2008 07:16 AM
How about a petrified forest?

03-20-2008 05:56 PM
I haven't seen the Jade source code, but adding terrains should be as simple as making a new class.

In python it would look like this.

Snow(Terrains.BaseTerrains)
self.color = "White"
self.tile = "="

03-25-2008 04:40 PM
It was great to see the (*awesome*) JADE video with desert areas, although still no snow as far as I can see... I feel passionate about this as such environments would be easy to implement, open the door to lots of ideas and be lots of fun! I had a few more thoughts about what could be added to our snow environment:

Snow storms: Reduce how far PCs can see.

Quests: Enter a cave of a giant polar bear (for example) either to kill it or retrieve an object. Search for the Yeti to prove its existance. Rescue a NPC stuck on a mountain...

Thanks for the support so far btw! Lets hope we can get the support of the MASTER himself.

02-07-2012 10:57 PM
what would be really cool, you can make Old Man Winter an NPC and then you can kill him to stop the snow (so quit bitchin snow haters). that way everyone wins

02-08-2012 02:01 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Whilst "endagered" species is I think a silly idea for a medieval style of world, there is precedent for certain creatures being illegal to kill because they're the nation's patron animal. A kingdom with a lion on its crest might make it illegal to kill lions for instance. Or it could simply reward those that don't (like with kitties in ADOM). Then again there could be a black market in the city for lion fur if you want to make a quicker profit...
Apart from that, another good excuse for not killing creatures that also fits perfectly in a medieval fantasy world is religion. There could be a religion that forbids e.g. killing felines, because they are considered holy (this happened with cats in Egypt and still happens with cows in India, for example). This could have at least two implications: on the one hand, if your character chose to follow that religion, he would be forced to follow those guidelines or he would anger his god. On the other hand, if your character didn't follow that religion but he went into a kingdom/city that officially did so, he would be forced to follow those guidelines or be arrested. In ancient Egypt, killing a cat was punished with the death penalty!

02-08-2012 03:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Apart from that, another good excuse for not killing creatures that also fits perfectly in a medieval fantasy world is religion.
Benefits for not killing or for feeding a holy animal an appropriate type of food ( eg. raw meat to carnivores, plants to herbivores), you have a small, possibly cumulative, chance of recieving a random blessing for a certain amount of time, or a priest of that religion could offer you unique quests. Enemy religions/factions could endorse wholesale slaughter of the critters as well in order to weaken their enemies.

03-08-2012 06:30 PM
Deserts have already been implemented, so I don't think that cold climate areas with snow are too much of a strectch. I'm against there being a dedicated skill for movement in snow, though--I prefer the idea of having a general skill for movement and/or equipment that can modify the energy cost of movement in inhospitable/exotic environments.

+ Reply