Buildings revolution
issueid=51 04-17-2008 02:45 PM
Number of reported issues by hrothgar: 4
Buildings revolution
(a continuation of my previous post)

As I said in my post "buildings and stuff", houses and buidings should be improved. But, what if we absolutely recreate the point of view, making of cities very interesting places to know?
This is how it should be done IMHO:

The landscape of a city shoul be the same as it is now, but with a single diference: it canot be posible to enter into a bulding just by opening the door... there should be a switch, as there is a symbol to go up or down the stairs, but in this case just to enter to the place. Lets say a "E" symbol, activated with "Alt+Enter".
This way you can explore houses in a more proporcional fashion, with several floors (sometimes) and a basement (sometimes). Besides, guilds could be much more interesting this way, as small dungeons or such, with several rooms and people to know.

E.g:

This would be the house seen from the oustside
HTML Code:
           ############
           #                    #
           #       ###       #
           #       #E#       #
           #####+###### 

And from the inside (for example):

###############################################
#                            +                                       +                   #
#                          ###                                     ###               #
#                          # #                                      # #      >        #
#                          # #                 t                    # #                # 
#                          # #                                      # #                #
#                          # #                                      # ##########
#                          # #                                      #
#                          # #                                      #
#                ###+## #                                      #
#                #   <   # #                                      #
#                #        # #                                      #
############### ########E############
I hope you like the idea. Besides we should include Chests as suggested before to some of the rooms.
goodbye everyone
Issue Details
Issue Number 51
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority 2
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 7
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-17-2008 02:52 PM
sorry people... i cant make it look as i want, but the idea is there... i cant seem to handle the post image. So long...

04-17-2008 03:32 PM
in all type of games im agains the idea of building being bigger inside then on the outside, unless its some magical building but thats very rare.

04-17-2008 03:36 PM
Ancient Member
Will there really be much point to extra floors? There has to be an actual gameplay reason to have them. Better to keep things simple and have larger buildings for those houses which need more NPCs and such in them, with maybe a few things like castles having multiple floors. After all in medieval times many villages were composed entirely of cottages. I also agree that buildings shouldn't be bigger on the inside.

04-18-2008 12:52 AM
but you got me all wrong... it wont be bigger in the inside, because there is this thing called proportion. A city seen from the world map is nothing but a spot, but when you enter into it you see it huge. So, you could say its just a matter of proportion.

04-18-2008 04:38 PM
this idea would probably mean that building interiors had to be separate maps - like in Morrowind/Oblivion. This has some serious implications, like monsters that follow you only when you 'E'nter next to them, time freezes in the city when the PC explores a building, there's basically no interaction between inside and outside etc.

So as for now, I'm NO.

04-27-2008 11:59 AM
No too, same reasons than already explained.

04-27-2008 09:03 PM
Ancient Member
It doesn't scale that way. 2 map scales is good: the world map and location maps. When in a location (like a city) you can't zoom in anymore.

When there is a large building, there's no reason it couldn't be big from the outside too.

+ Reply