Roads between cities
issueid=861 03-23-2012 03:46 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Laukku: 56
Roads between cities
Trade routes that can be used for travel

I could swear this was posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it...

To help exploration, most big cities should have roads between them. Walking on these roads would take much less time than through nature, making you hungry slower. You could also have a chance of encountering caravans while walking on them, allowing you to buy or sell wares, hitchhike or rob them. Of course, there would still be some remote villages disconnected from the rest of the world.
Issue Details
Issue Number 861
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM II 0.2.4
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-23-2012 05:04 PM
Of course, wherever caravan roads are, there may be bandits lying in ambush as well... ;)

Caravans could sometimes be of a particular race with goods and wares which fit their flavor. At night, they might be relaxing by their fire, willing to trade stories and gear. Maybe even train certain skills, exactly which ones would depend on their race.

Well said, Laukku! I support this wholeheartedly.

06-25-2012 06:15 PM
I would love to see this. As far as I can tell, one my biggest problems in surviving early levels (besides getting trapped by a five-headed hydra (or similarly difficult monster) on level 1 of a dungeon while I'm also less than level 3) is having money to buy food. Since we only get two stores in Terinyo, and I've only ever found one other accessible town, way over on the south side of the mountains (which only had one store, if I remember correctly), I can't sell the majority of the extra equipment I find in the dungeons.

07-10-2012 06:24 AM
Yes for running into caravans (etc.), no to 'hungry slower'.

07-10-2012 10:12 AM
Ancient Member
Well, becoming hungry slower is kinda the point :-P The main motive of this RFE is to ease travel between cities. Caravans were a minor idea I couldn't help but mention.

Obviously 99% of the world map would be without road squares, making finding new dungeons and stuff properly tough.

07-10-2012 03:54 PM
Well, realistically, if there was a road cutting through a bumpy area, I guess it would help with energy consumption, so to some extent it would make sense. Maybe you could even pay to hitch rides to places the caravans go to?

+ Reply