Inventory descripions
issueid=19 03-09-2008 04:49 PM
Number of reported issues by spectre: 3
Inventory descripions
Something similar to monster memory, but for items.

I think the summary more or less gives the general idea of what I am getting at.
While examining your inventory, press A-Z to give you a brief description of an item, similar to that of the Greater Identify from ADOM.

It would be grand if there were descriptions for weapons (so that finally everyone would know what a scrugar is (-:, especially for artifacts, but these are not exactly necessary since it is a great amount of additional work.

However, the point is to give a run-down of what the adventrer knows about the item - does it cause corruption, does it strike foes with lightning, what are the effects and damage of a wand, etc.

It would be cool do discover the functions of a randomized artifact step by step, and have all your findings recorded in the descriptions. Say, you use a giant slaying weapon vs. a Hill giant and the appropiate note appears (or not, based on PER)
Issue Details
Issue Number 19
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 16
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-09-2008 05:17 PM
Ancient Member
I definitely like this idea. With some items in ADOM I still have to regularly check out the Guidebook to see what they do. With some items I still don't know what they do (amulet of protection from constructs anyone?) Greater identify doesn't explain every detail. With some community effort we could descriptions made for every individual item in the game.

03-30-2008 02:32 PM
I like this idea too. you have my vote...

03-30-2008 09:32 PM
[quote=Grey]amulet of protection from constructs anyone?

I think they protect you from golems.. not sure

04-02-2008 04:44 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SPECTRE
It would be cool do discover the functions of a randomized artifact step by step, and have all your findings recorded in the descriptions. Say, you use a giant slaying weapon vs. a Hill giant and the appropiate note appears (or not, based on PER)
this idea sounds awesome. Examining features of items

I can't see much use for any general item description i.e. "the long sword is a weapon with a blade and a hilt" though.

04-03-2008 10:54 AM
How about something like this, then?
"A long sword consists of a blade, a cross-guard, a handle and a pommel. The blade comes in two basic styles, a straight cutting blade and a tapered thrusting blade, though both styles can cut and thrust. The cross-guard is generally straight, but it can be curved and it's ends may be rounded, spiked or ornate. A long sword handle has enough space for two handed use; it can be waisted and has an oval cross- section. The pommel is a counter weight to the blade and comes in many shapes and sizes. Because of this, it can be a formidable weapon in it's own right, when used to strike hammer-like blows."

etc.etc.

(-:

04-06-2008 07:28 PM
That's a technical description. Maybe to add some cultural flavor:
"Often considered to be the perfect weapon, the sword is not only an established attribute of royal power, but also a phallic symbol of virility. That's why most warriors choose the biggest and longest swords avaible."
;)

04-27-2008 12:01 PM
Seems good, voted Yes.

+ Reply