Herb patterns
issueid=52 04-17-2008 03:26 PM
Number of reported issues by Pustka: 6
Herb patterns
herbs could use different growth patterns

In ADOM. all herbs used the cellular automata function commonly known as "game of life". It came to my mind that maybe herbs in JADE could use various functions (growth patterns), or even change the patterns a bit over time so herbalizm would become more challanging occupation :)

These patterns and pattern changes could be dependant on couple factors:

• place where herb grows
  • sezons
  • some spells could help the herbs to grow
  • hope u guys can think some more :)
Issue Details
Issue Number 52
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-27-2008 11:58 AM
Voted against, I feel it a bad idea, it's already complicate enough like it is and get more busy by gardening won't be fun at all, as it is it's good.

04-27-2008 02:41 PM
Ancient Member
I don't actually know if I support the game of life principle in growing herbs at all since it's unrealistic. I feel that gardening in general should be influenced by season and soil. The character could wet his plants periodically to increase the chance that a plant survives or generates new plants nearby. He could imbue the soil with magic and generate new (random) magical herbs. Magic might also sometimes increase the growth rate of the plants or maybe even animate them (friendliness not guaranteed). :)

04-27-2008 03:06 PM
@Doalag

complicated enough ? O.o herb gathering as it is now is really simple :)

@Nezur

i gues since herbs are already some kind of magical plants thats why they grow according to certain patterns. that the explanation that comes to my mind. While some normal plants could be influenced only by season and soil, magical ones should requier some more effort to cultivate them imho :) what do u think about that ?

04-27-2008 04:07 PM
Ancient Member
I know the Game of Life pattern - it's a very cool and unique feature that can lead to some complicated herb growth techniques. Not everything in the game has to be realistic - some things are there for fun too.

04-27-2008 07:33 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
-- Not everything in the game has to be realistic - some things are there for fun too.
Yep, not everything has to be realistic.

It would be a tedious job to make all things realistic if everything is taken into consideration. Though personally realism usually equals fun . :)

04-28-2008 12:01 AM
Ancient Member
Herb growth could be changed if done in a good fashion, though I can't think of one now.

Though the current principle is a nice idea and functional in game, it's actually quite boring in the long run. How often does anyone do something besides stable patterns? The game of life isn't used to its full potential, when making just simple and stable patterns. There's no big challenge in making those if you can think.

04-29-2008 02:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Nezur
The character could wet his plants periodically to increase the chance that a plant survives or generates new plants nearby.
and dump heaps of corpses near them as fertilizer :D

04-29-2008 03:13 PM
Ancient Member
BTW there are no 'shrooms at all in ADOM!

It would be great to see all kinds of mysterious mushrooms in JADE.

There were also a low amount of different animated plant types in ADOM. I'd like the idea of somehow enchanting a tree and having it help the character. :)

+ Reply