Limited inventory space
issueid=62 06-03-2008 05:17 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Nezur: 13
Limited inventory space
Size values for items along with weight

In ADoM your backpack is seemingly bottomless. You can put there as many things as you like and it never fills up.

How about a simple size value for items ranging from 1 to 20 for example? 1 for a fluff ball and 20 for a huge iron hammer. Your bag would have a certain maximum capacity.
Issue Details
Issue Number 62
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-03-2008 07:11 PM
Ancient Member
While it wouldn't be horrible, I see it as a needless complexity. I've never really had problems with the whole weight limit things, but one thing that drove me crazy is this system, which they had in Diablo II. It was annoying as heck trying to figure out what was worth holding onto, and what was not, based on there size-to-value ratio, and I think we'd be better off without that complexity, regardless of realism

06-03-2008 07:21 PM
Ancient Member
The ADoM system even allows you to put logs into your bag. Now that would an interesting sight. :)

06-25-2008 12:29 AM
Ancient Member
More realism... For starters, it would end the proud tradition of carrying logs and statues around.

Castle of the Winds (graphical roguelike that was more or less my introduction to the genre, now that I think about it) had a system like the one you proposed: Every item had a weight and a bulk ratio, and every container had a weight and a bulk limit. Personally, I wouldn't like it. The ADOM inventory reminds me of adventure games like Monkey Island. The bottomless "pack" has charme.

06-25-2008 05:15 PM
Ancient Member
I do see its disadvantages but I also do dislike the fact that you can carry as many things as you want regardless of their size. When I visualize my character I see a poor puffing fellow freighting a mahusive wobbly backpack with all sorts of random stuff hanging from it.

06-26-2008 05:25 PM
Ancient Member
I've been thinking a way to carry items without putting them into your bag. With sufficient strength you could be able to carry logs and such but you wouldn't be able use shields or weapons because both your hands would be occupied.

06-30-2008 10:40 AM
Ancient Member
Needless to say, that would necessitate a major rework of the Bridge Building talent... :)

07-02-2008 05:48 PM
Ancient Member
BTW it would be logical if heavy weapons trained Strength better than light ones when fighting. Merely holding a heavy weapon in your hand could train Strength slightly as well.

11-28-2008 07:14 PM
I think this idea seems good. Several RPGs have a limited amount of carryable items. Some games containers can only carry a certain weight, some only a certain amount of items, some only a certain amount of space (different items take different amount of space). I think it's overall a good idea, starting off with a bag or backpack and later getting "of holding" stuff with more capacy is always fun.

+ Reply