Cursed weapons and items
issueid=7 03-07-2008 07:28 PM
Number of reported issues by theotherhiveking: 4
Cursed weapons and items
Blessed items are good.. cursed ones too.

My Idea is very simple;

Lets see, in adom, blessed items are good, they provide bonus and are very durable, with cursed items it is exactly the oposite.

Why I don't like this? very simple, a cursed item should be a item blessed by a dark god.

So, if my character character is chaotic.. why it should damage me? instead, the normal blessed items should try to damage and destroy me.

So..

If you are chaotic you should be able to wield any piece of armor or weapon that is cursed (should take other name) without any problems, they should even be more durable and have bonus.

The more chaotic or lawfull you are, the more durability and bonus you get.

For example, If you are a neutral elvish warrior and you find a 'cursed' broad sword. If you equip it, you should not notice anything, but if you become lawful, the sword should try to make the things harder for your char. And if then you start killing everything to become chaotic, then the item would stop being evil against you and provide bonus.

Same with the blessed items, if you are wearing a blessed sword being chaotic, the sword should try to damage you in every posible way!

So, wearing blessed gloves while being C+ would make you fail half of the hits, or even drop the weapon. While wearing that item while L+ should provide a huge bonus.

In less words: Blessed is good for nice people, cursed is good for bad people.
blessed tries to kill cursed.
cursed tries to kill blessed.

Sorry about my english, it isnt very good.
Issue Details
Issue Number 7
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 10
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-07-2008 10:46 PM
Well... in ADOM there is a difference between blessed/cursed and order/chaos.

It's an interesting suggestion. I can imagine a character annoying a lawful god and getting his equipment cursed and then converting to the dark side of the force.

It does sound like a lot of work to implement, eg. What happens when the character is "blessed," "fate smiles," "cursed," "doomed," the spell "bless" and holy/unholy water.

03-08-2008 05:05 AM
I'll just repost my blog post, which I feel would be appropriate here:

A few ideas:

In ADOM blessed items deal more damage to demons, undead and similar nasty buggers. The problem here is that all blessed items work like that, regardless on how they came to be blessed :( I mean, holy water produced by a C PC on a C altar does exactly the same thing as holy water produced by a L PC on a L altar?

Maybe there could be more than one type of blessed item, based on the alignment? Like:

Law-blessed item: Deals more damage to chaotic creatures (which already automatically includes undead and demons). Provides some extra bonus to L characters, increasing with alignment (L+ > L > LN). Provides extra penalties to C characters (again, increasing with alignment).
Any corruption from a Law-blessed item (either on enemies or on wielder) is lessened.

Balance-blessed item: Deals a bit more damage (not much) to lawfuls and chaotics. Provides extra bonuses to N characters (best to N=), gives some penalties (relatively minor) to L+ and C-.

Chaos-blessed item: Deals more damage to lawfuls, provides bonuses to C characters and penalties to L. Any corruption from a
Chaos-blessed item (either on enemies or on wielder) is increased.

For nonwearable items, the rules of thumb might be:
Law-blessed: a bit dull, but very reliable items - hard to damage, low RNG ranges for effects.
Balance-blessed: Medium-range, like current blessed items.
Chaos-blessed: High-risk, high-power items. Large RNG ranges, bad effects happening together with good (like zapping a chaos-blessed wand gives more damage, but you might suffer some minor corruption as a result), items might be powerful but damage easily etc.

Now each monster and dungeon floor might have defined what are the chances for various item states to be generated.

This way, chaos creatures might have lots of chaos-blessed weapons which are quite unpredictable and might cause trouble in hands of lawful PC.

03-08-2008 05:30 AM
The question to keep in mind is always: will this make gameplay more enjoyable.

If a blessed item suddenly starts having bad effects I think it would only be confusing.

03-08-2008 08:15 AM
Can't see why cults who worship chaos god(s) can't have sacred (aka blessed) items in their possessions. Same goes to holy water. It's water -> It will be blessed by dark god -> You get water that is holy for that specific god. At least I can't see any lore specific problems here. If you want weapons to be more related to weapons you should focus on prefixes and suffixes. I'm not a JAVA coder expert but I think those are easier to add and make interactive with aligments than changing whole b/u/c system which is more than enough at the moment (at least for me).

03-08-2008 05:33 PM
Ancient Member
I prefer the current simple system. It makes sense to me that an item can be blessed or cursed by a dark god in the same way as a benevolent deity. There is a bit more of an issue when it comes to blessed weapons having a stronger effect on undead and demons, but a simpler system would be for this to simply not work for chaotics (just to make things harder for the bad guy).

04-04-2008 11:27 AM
Ancient Member
Like they say: A blessed item for a chaotic? It's a blessing from a chaos god. This existing system is already very good, although in ADOM1 I wished that there was a nicer way to also create unholy water (without doing anything drastic to begin with, of course). Cursed item = item that is cursed to work against its user, you.

04-04-2008 02:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Dougy
It does sound like a lot of work to implement, eg. What happens when the character is "blessed," "fate smiles," "cursed," "doomed," the spell "bless" and holy/unholy water.
In fact, I believe it was implemented at some point in ADOM history, I'd have to pull up the GB version history, but I think it is there.

04-05-2008 12:03 PM
No need to revive this guys, it has been already rejected.

04-05-2008 12:22 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by theotherhiveking
No need to revive this guys, it has been already rejected.
Its status is still "suggested". :)

04-05-2008 04:01 PM
Ancient Member
Yeah, the community has clearly rejected it, but that doesn't mean TB will, or that he won't take certain ideas from it or its discussion.

+ Reply