Different door types
issueid=80 05-12-2009 11:56 AM
Number of reported issues by phauli: 2
Different door types

What about doors made out of different materials ie. wood, stone, iron, etc. The point being wooden doors would be a lot easier to kick down than stone or iron ones and the possibility to destroy doors in other ways like burning with something like the burning hands spell (thus harmlessly destroying some types of traps like flares etc., and buffing up or setting of other types like explosion ore stone traps). Something that also springs in mind would be blowing the door up with a spell like improved fireball. This would make it easier for physically weak classes like the wizard to get past a strong iron door.
Issue Details
Issue Number 80
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-13-2009 03:09 PM
Nay. Too complicated. Too minor. Doesn't have any hidden plot features(Not sure how to explain what I mean). Jade is neither NH (with every imaginable action being possible) nor DF (with such kind of detail as different melting points of different materials).

On the other hand, what about grates - kind of undiggable wall, that PC can see, shoot and spellcast through, and probably can be removed by some mechanism?

05-14-2009 06:36 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Fullmoon
Nay. Too complicated.
Yeah, propably :( Would have been cool if it could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmoon
On the other hand, what about grates - kind of undiggable wall, that PC can see, shoot and spellcast through, and probably can be removed by some mechanism?
Oh you mean something like a lever (etc.) operated door kind of obstacles like in the Exile series where any ranged means of killing monsters on the other side works, but the actual door remains closed until the associated lever is found and operated? Would be a very nice idea but im not sure how easy it would be to put it to good use if everything is generated random.. Still likely works better than my first idea :)

05-14-2009 07:55 PM
Ancient Member
I like the idea, has potential. Imagine you come across a mixed tension room, so you run away quickly from the assortment of werewolves and master mimics and Onn knows what else. You lock yourself behind a thick iron door and calmly start w5'ing, secure in the knowledge that nothing can break down the solid metal. But then you hear a scratching and a creaking, and you gape in fear as you see hugh fangs chew through the iron door. You suddenly realise there was a giant rust monster in that tension room - it has happily eaten through the secure looking door and is now coming to have your armour for dessert.

06-02-2009 03:02 AM
I think this is a brilliant idea. Wood doors could be the only ones that could by kicked down. Troll monks can kick down Iron doors. Monks 13 ability is kicking down stone doors. Metal doors can be melted with fireball, burninghands, acid. Stone doors can be destroyed easily with picks and hammers. Arrows of destruction (an arrow enchanted with uber fireball) candestry any door, and at higher levels blow open walls (you join the low mountain village (ADOI =) and attack the high mountain village. you shoot your arrow of destrucion mark III and blow a gaping hole in the wall as well as evaporating that annoying moat). Than of course there are non-passable enchanted doors.
Most of the special doors would not be randomly generated. Maybe metal doors can be generated in Royal vualts, or something like that (btw, do you think randomly generated graveyard room are plausable?).
With random generated grates, maybe in order to get to the down staircase you need to pull the lever in the center of that gnoll and hyena filled vualt. there would always need to be two levers though, one on either side, so if you accidentaly teleport out of that room, you can get back in.

06-02-2009 06:20 PM
Ancient Member
IMO stronger doors should appear only in deeper levels, or they would hinder early characters too much. Maybe even only in large human(or any other species)-made areas, like castles.

They would have to be a different colour, of course. (Additionally, I've always thought that secret doors should be the same colour as the walls, and remain "secret" to other monsters.)

07-08-2009 10:55 PM
Ancient Member
I never understood why open doors have the exact same symbol(and color) of arrows, slaying ammo, and a variety of other missile weapons. They should be a - or something. Back on topic, I like the idea. It would be entertaining to see a rust monster eat through a door.

+ Reply