Stomacemptia herb cannot be eaten while bloated
issueid=1315 10-31-2012 03:09 AM
Number of reported issues by Pim: 9
Stomacemptia herb cannot be eaten while bloated
Stomacemptia herb is neither beneficial enough, nor dangerous enough to justify its existence

Stomacemptia is not capable of emptying the stomach when it really matters. That eliminates the only potentially beneficial use of this herb.

It could be a dangerous item instead, but, the only time stomacemptia presents a danger is when it is unidentified (showing as "strange herb"). Fair enough, but that is a very small portion of the game. At all other times, it is a nuisance with no other effect besides reducing the rate at which stomafillia can be farmed by 50%.

Surely this behavior is unintentional. If stomacemptia were able to be eaten while bloated, then it could be used to make room in one's tummy for yummy corpses, before they rot away.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1315
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Not a Bug
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 3
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-31-2012 03:13 AM
Ancient Member
Stomaceptia is already perfectly useful for starvation training (and reducing stoma you get, which I think is perfectly good). I don't see why you'd be able to eat it when bloated; it is no different in that regard than every other foodstuff. What might be more interesting is potion that performs stomaceptia effect, perhaps.

10-31-2012 04:34 AM
Ancient Member
I don't think all herbs were intended to be beneficial. See: Burb root, demon daisy.

10-31-2012 04:42 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I don't think all herbs were intended to be beneficial. See: Burb root, demon daisy.
Burb root is useful for
uh
training healing and first aid?

And testing if you have acid resistance?

10-31-2012 06:36 AM
Ancient Member
Burb roots are good for increasing your alignment by feeding them to beggars, of course. :p

10-31-2012 06:51 AM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
Stomaceptia is already perfectly useful for starvation training (and reducing stoma you get, which I think is perfectly good). I don't see why you'd be able to eat it when bloated; it is no different in that regard than every other foodstuff. What might be more interesting is potion that performs stomaceptia effect, perhaps.
Starvation training is likely a bug, though. It doesn't make sense for characters to get stronger by starving themselves.

10-31-2012 07:36 AM
Ancient Member
Yeah, I think this should be left as is. First of all, as other people had said, this herb is clearly meant to be detrimental (and starvation training is an exploit, not an intentional feature).

On the other hand, even if you really wanted to implement this to make stomacemptia useful, it has its problems. When your character is bloated, my interpretation is that he feels so full that he doesn't want to put anything into his mouth. I see this as a physical thing rather as a rational thing, i.e., the character wouldn't say "OK, it's stomacemptia and it'll be good for me, so let's just eat it". He'd rather say "It'd be really good for me, but I'm so bloated I can't just bring myself to eat it" (as with any beneficial corpse).

On the other hand, in order to be coherent, you should make the bloated character able to eat corpses that make him vomit, and more importantly, you should make him able to eat ID'd stomacemptia herbs but not unID'd stomacemptia (he doesn't know what they are, so they're just food to him). This would make an item behave in a different way depending on wheter it's ID'd or not, which is highly non-standard.

10-31-2012 11:55 AM
Ancient Member
When you're bloated, you've eaten so much that you don't want to have another meal for a while, irrespective of the desirability of its effects.

It could be a dangerous item instead, but, the only time stomacemptia presents a danger is when it is unidentified
The same could be said of scrolls of item destruction for example.

11-02-2012 06:33 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
When your character is bloated, my interpretation is that he feels so full that he doesn't want to put anything into his mouth. I see this as a physical thing rather as a rational thing, i.e., the character wouldn't say "OK, it's stomacemptia and it'll be good for me, so let's just eat it". He'd rather say "It'd be really good for me, but I'm so bloated I can't just bring myself to eat it" (as with any beneficial corpse).

On the other hand, in order to be coherent, you should make the bloated character able to eat corpses that make him vomit, and more importantly, you should make him able to eat ID'd stomacemptia herbs but not unID'd stomacemptia (he doesn't know what they are, so they're just food to him). This would make an item behave in a different way depending on wheter it's ID'd or not, which is highly non-standard.
I would suggest that all herbs are wafer thin, and should be able to be eaten when bloated, whether ID'd or not. Corpses, potions etc. represent large quantities of food against which a character cannot overcome the gag reflex (except potentially characters with high willpower?). Successfully becoming overbloated beyond some value, by any means except a scroll of satiation or wishing, would cause vomiting, reducing satiation back to some other specific value.

Clearly this idea is not as clear cut as I originally thought. I apologize, for I surely should have made this a Feature request instead of a Bug report.

12-11-2012 02:52 PM
The Creator
The original report concerns something that works as intended.

12-11-2012 02:57 PM
Stomaceptia has uses beyond bugs. If blessed, they only reduce satiation level by one. So if you are satiated, and you eat a blessed stomaceptia, you will be at the upper edge of just "normal", right on the line of satiated - the best place to be. It would be nice to remove bloated by some means other than spitting (one of my favorite things about Drakelings is their control over that).

12-11-2012 03:54 PM
You know, I think that it might make sense for all races to be given the ability to "spit", and let that be a way to help reduce bloating. Just make it so that, for all races other than Drakelings (with the special exception of the appropriate corruption), the spit is useless in terms of fighting. Perhaps it could just be another way to anger various non-hostiles, by spitting in their faces.

The game already lets you wipe your face and clean your ears. A command to "spit" would fit in nicely, with the basic uses being slightly faster reduction in satiation and angering of NPCs, while it also works in the appropriate cases for offensive Drakeling spit and similar.

Other than that, perhaps there could be the addition of a potion of digestion, or something like that (potion of digestion isn't a very good name), that lowers the PC's satiation level similarly to how a berzio potion raises it. Or perhaps make a simple modification to unholy water, that it causes the PC to vomit, thus reducing satiation. After all, it already tastes like muddy water.

12-11-2012 04:08 PM
I'm hesitant about having a bunch of obviously bulimic heroes introduced to Ancardia...

+ Reply