[RFE] Make scrolls of greater identify reveal amount of wand charges for PCs with low learning score.
issueid=2924 05-02-2014 07:04 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
[RFE] Make scrolls of greater identify reveal amount of wand charges for PCs with low learning score.

I noticed that certain characters with low learning score are unable to determine the amount of charges a wand has.
I think this is fair as those magical items require some scholarly approach.
However, a blessed scroll of greater identify that I expected would remedy that, only shows the true name of an unidentified wand and damage it deals in melee or as missile (as if anybody uses wands in this fashion other than for some role playing purposes).
I suggest that the scroll's function is adjusted so that it can show how many charges are left.
This would be in line with its ability to show the PC what hidden properties their other items have.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2924
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-02-2014 07:55 PM
Ancient Member
Just in the scroll itself? or permanently? the problem with low Le isn't that you can't determine the amount of charges per se, it's that you can't remember it.

05-03-2014 01:14 PM
Ancient Member
I was thinking permanently but now that you mentioned memory and it's relation to learning attribute, I see it differently.
I have always assumed that inability to determine how many charges a wand has was related to the character's skill with magical things in general.
Then again, wands can be used and most chars will remember how many charges each still has so it's related to memory and the ability to remember learned information.

The problem here is that for example, you can still remember exactly how many castings you have on any of the 30+ spells available. Or the exact type and order of traps around mana temple. Or the amount of gold you're carrying, that can go into hundreds of thousands of gold pieces, etc.
I see big inconsistency here, where your character can apparently remember large numbers about a lot of abstract things yet can't remember something as trivial as the single digit of charges on wand(s) in inventory.

05-03-2014 05:20 PM
Ancient Member
I recall reading that in the gamma days, very low Learning affected the PC's ability to remember most numbers (including the amount of items on a stack), but over time wand charges proved to be the only thing that could be affected without making the game frustrating.

05-03-2014 07:15 PM
Ancient Member
Would be cool to have the inventory look something like 'a bunch of missiles' instead of 'x missiles' for low learning chars ( for example: few=2-5, one should be one and then for more than 5 there can be different words, like in HoMM games for amount of monsters).

After reading the above i see that it is poorly written, but my poor english doesn't allow me to explain myself better.

05-03-2014 07:52 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull
Would be cool to have the inventory look something like 'a bunch of missiles' instead of 'x missiles' for low learning chars ( for example: few=2-5, one should be one and then for more than 5 there can be different words, like in HoMM games for amount of monsters).

After reading the above i see that it is poorly written, but my poor english doesn't allow me to explain myself better.
I know exactly what you mean, I play HoMM3 regularly.
This is a nice idea but I was thinking that now that we can add notes to items, all of this is pretty much obsolete.
You could count the missiles one by one and just add a note informing you how many are there.
I normally don't play chars that have small enough learning score to be affected by these memory issues so it's not a problem for me.
I do however think that for the sake of consistency, something should be done about wands with unknown charges.
Scroll of greater identify feel like the right solution here.

+ Reply