Lighting improvements
issueid=60 05-25-2008 05:37 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Nezur: 13
Lighting improvements
Torches on walls, braziers on the floor and dark natural caves.

In ADoM it's fairly obvious that the dungeons are lit by something since they are not totally dark. In JADE there could be visible torches on walls and braziers on the floor. You could put them out by pouring something like water on them. Exotic liquids might bring about something interesting. By first pouring combustible liquid on the ground and then kicking a brazier you could create a nice bonfire. :)

Additionally there should be almost wholly dark natural caves in which humans for example would have a very hard time seeing anything at all at least deep in the caves. Torches would be more important. Sometimes there could be cracks in the cave ceiling so that the sunlight can get in.

First of all I'd like to know what you think about this.
Issue Details
Issue Number 60
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Unknown
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-03-2008 04:09 PM
Yeah, completely agree. Often wondered how on ID:1000, the level is still nicely lit up for you to see. Love the idea about using liquids to spark something off.

'You throw lighter fluid onto the goblin and kick him into the brazier. Bingo.........instant mobile torch'

06-04-2008 12:22 PM
Fires, torches etc could cast yellow light instead of white, something like this:

06-04-2008 06:22 PM
Concerning light & darkness, I always thought that some races, those attuned to life beneath the surface of earth, should have a natural darkvision of limited range. Maybe one or two squares of sight in the darkness for elves, dark elves, dwarfs and orkz.

06-04-2008 06:35 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by reich
one or two squares of sight in the darkness for elves, dark elves, dwarfs and orkz.
Yep. Probably not for high and gray elves though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezur
Additionally there should be almost wholly dark natural caves in which humans for example would have a very hard time seeing anything at all at least deep in the caves.
I used the expression "humans for example" in this sentence because I think the races accustomed to darkness should be able to see better there.

06-11-2008 08:09 PM
On the subject of lightning, I bring up darkness. The darkness is way to powerful in adom. While in darkness you should have huge penalties to hit to avoid the darkness abuse that is in adom. Creatures that sees in darkness does not get these penalties. Races with infravision might get lower penalties than for example humans. This would also make the implementation of a potion of infravision or ring of infravision useful.

06-11-2008 08:33 PM
Ancient Member
Basically monster AI needs to be improved, such that if they're taking attacks from something they can't see (for whatever reason) they panic and run away. More intelligent monsters could strike back in the direction they're being attacked from, or maybe even create light if they have the means.

11-28-2008 07:19 PM
Good idea, I never thought of it. Figured the player always carried some sort of mini-torch. Medieval glowsticks.
I like having torches and braziers appearing on dungeon walls and such, but it doesn't fit too well in DEEP dungeons. And if deep dungeons are supposed to be entirely dark one would have to rely a lot more on torches and light spells which would probably just be annoying - always having to carry a torch around for example.

12-21-2008 11:48 PM
i like this idea and voted yes on it. As for needing more torches in lower dungeons......maybe implent some way to make them out of the woodcrafting skill. Or give general stores a higher chance of generating torches.

03-01-2009 08:27 AM
Instead of just on/off darkness there could also be a few squares of "dim" area around the properly lit vision area in which the PC could only recognize maybe the size and type of a monster, but nothing too specific. "You can make out the outlines of a large humanoid blabla" oslt. And some races with limited night vision could see with this "dim vision" in totally dark places instead of just not at all or everything.

03-02-2009 05:59 PM
Had anybody played into Eschalon? There was interesting idea about picking up torches from walls. While in sconce, torch lasts indefinitely, but when carrying, it lasts as usual. There are some problems with implementation of such way in roguelike like ADOM/JADE, but...

03-22-2009 02:37 AM
Ancient Member
I like the ideas of different levels of lighting:

1: Brightly Lit. Most creatures can see clearly, though some such as Dark Elves and Orcs suffer small vision penalties. All outdoors and some indoor areas(like Dwarftown or the Animated Forest) are like this.

2: Well Lit. All monsters can see clearly, though most suffer vision penalties. Some creatures with night vision such as Dark Elves still suffer, but less then they do in well-lit areas. This is similar to torchlight, and is found in dungeons next to light sources like braziers.

3: Poorly Lit. This is similar to nighttime outside when the moon is shining. Also found a lot in dungeons when a source of light is not immediately present, but nearby. Creatures such as Dark Elves or Cats can see perfectly in this type of light, and is ideal for them.

4: Dim. Faint traces of light allow some visibility, but not much. Most monsters can make out movement and thus determine the location of monsters, but they are unable to determine exactly what the monsters are. They are also unable to see items. Monsters with night-vision, such as Dark Elves or cats, see well in this kind of lighting. They can also determine the types of monsters and see items on the floor. This kind of light is produced from residual light of other sources, or some possible magic. This is also what occurs during nighttime outside when there is no moon.

5: Pitch Black. Nothing can see, period. Not even Dark Elves or other creatures with night vision can see. All creatures are, for all intents and purposes, blind. Obviously monsters who do not rely on vision in the first place are completely unaffected by this. A high Alertness and Listening skill allows players to determine the locations of creatures directly adjacent to them.

There are many ways this could be implemented into ADOM. For example, a Blessed Amulet of Light would increase the light by three levels(I.E., Pitch Black would become Well-Lit, everything else would be Brightly Lit), while a Cursed one would only increase by one level(So Pitch Black would become Dim, Dim would become Poorly Lit, etc.)

+ Reply