Unlimited difficulty in ID
issueid=1239 09-10-2012 06:55 AM
Number of reported issues by Marek14: 15
Unlimited difficulty in ID
Make ID more interesting by removing the difficulty cap.

My question during ADOM party:

At this point, difficulty of Infinite Dungeon reaches a maximum and then stays the same forever. Would it be possible to instead increase the difficulty without limits (albeit slowly)?

The Creator's reply:

Yeah, we could do that. Sounds kinda interesting. Please file an RFE at the official bug and issue database.

So I'm filling this RFE.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1239
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category MS-DOS
Status Rejected
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 3
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-10-2012 10:12 AM
Ancient Member
Difficulty of the Infinite Dungeon reaches a maximum - really? As far as I'm aware, monsters continue to increase in level until they're utterly undefeatable, at which point you survive basically by avoiding them. In that sense, it does reach a maximum, but just about the only way to increase it further is to make the levels suppress teleports.

09-10-2012 11:58 AM
Ancient Member
As Silfir says, this feature is already in place. I've never heard of anyone complaining that the deep ID is too easy ;)

09-10-2012 12:15 PM
Yeah, how is the difficulty limited? I've never heard of anything like this.

09-10-2012 12:26 PM
The danger level of the ID has a cap of 45. This would be reached at around level 135.

09-10-2012 01:06 PM
Ancient Member
Even after 135 monster level increases, with monsters getting more HP, more attacks, more likely to punch through/destroy armour, etc. Items get wilder modifiers on them too. A balor found on ID1000 is way beyond the power of one of the D50 balors.

Deep ID is a very cool place :)

09-10-2012 01:48 PM
Ancient Member
A little testing I once did says monsters seem to always have their level increased by (IDLevel/10), regardless of danger level. At 'I?' (i.e. beyond level 9999), even rats will have DV and PV above 500, and 100+ attacks per round, all of which score critical hits. And you also see a lot of mimic tension rooms, for some reason.

09-10-2012 02:03 PM
Ancient Member
And at the same time, because danger level caps at 45 (48?), your items don't get better past that point.

09-10-2012 04:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
And at the same time, because danger level caps at 45 (48?), your items don't get better past that point.
Not sure there are DL>45 items. Except maybe Platinum Girdle.

09-10-2012 05:42 PM
Ancient Member
Item modifiers do get wilder though. Gloves of smiting + 13 damage and such. Something in the deep ID affects the stats on items.

12-11-2012 10:13 AM
The Creator
Ok, checked this once more and I confirm the wild variance in place. What else could be scaled?

12-11-2012 02:12 PM
Maybe the level generation algorithm could break down at deep levels, generating "wilder" setups. After all, an "impossible" room layout can be just solved by leaving and re-entering. So why not having things like rooms without doors, corridors that run in circles without any rooms, stairs generated in corridor, or at very deep levels simply random scattering of empty squares and walls?

Or, maybe, the various level elements that are missing from ID (herbs, altars, shops, etc.) could start to appear beyond level 200 or so -- deep enough to not make ID an "easy source", but available for dedicated infinity diver (darn, now I want a game mode where you can only go through ID, but have no background corruption -- essentially unlimited-time dungeon. Reminds me of Ancient Cave from Lufia II...)

Other weird things at low levels:
Unique monsters -- like artifact guardians but without artifacts
Absolutely anything could appear, including elemental grues or jackal daemons

12-11-2012 02:21 PM
Ancient Member
Have you been to the deep ID? It's already quite weird and fun enough.

12-11-2012 08:49 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Marek14
darn, now I want a game mode where you can only go through ID, but have no background corruption -- essentially unlimited-time dungeon
Always liked that idea too, although it sounds like something for ADOM Deluxe.

+ Reply