[Balance] Herb bushes, randomized and lifespanned
issueid=1379 12-05-2012 05:45 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Stingray1: 97
[Balance] Herb bushes, randomized and lifespanned

With the predictability of which type of herb bush will spawn on a certain tile, it is fairly simple to set up a decent farm in little time without using large amounts of resources.

This makes it easy for any PC to collect large amounts of usefull herbs in a relatively short time (30-60min realtime), 5 to 10 gamedays. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm guessing.

This makes herbs along with gold the only 2 item types in the game you can collect unlimited quantities of relatively easy. Making raising stats, -piety and healing sorted easily without much perseverence.

A possible solution for this unbalance would be to remove the repeating pattern of herb bushes that will spawn on each tile. Similar to the pattern observed for traps and graves. Although those are another case and does not form part of this suggestion.
This one is reserved for herb bushes only.

I suggest that the type of bush is randomized upon spawning. This will however only be effective if bushes are also given a lifespan. My initial suggestion is 50d4 turns. I know that sounds harsh, but the point is to have the availability of herbs significantly reduced. Most players are probably laughing inside when they sacrifice Stomafillia and the character's god says "for your perseverence".

If this gets implemented, the 'Gardening skill producing seeds from bushes' suggestion sounds very viable. http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1341
Issue Details
Issue Number 1379
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 1 - Highest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-05-2012 06:19 PM
Ancient Member
I think a herb generation is 1d1000 turns. 50d4 turns would mean that, on average, you herb bushes would die out much faster than they grow.

12-05-2012 06:38 PM
Ancient Member
Ok, please give die suggestions. I want to see about 3 generations on average. So we want to see 1400-1600 turns. I'm not brilliant with the math, I know.

But that's me.

The thing is, I don't want it so high, that if the Gardening suggestion comes into play, the whole exercise just becomes: gather herbs, garden seeds, plant seeds, repeat.

Also it must happen quite often that 2 adjacent bushes must die, not long after another, so that a 2x2 pattern will not survive indefinately anyway.

edit - the numbers aren't that important here. If this get implemented, the Developers will do the magical balancing math they are renowned for. Best case you might also see 200 generations on 50d4.

12-05-2012 11:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I think a herb generation is 1d1000 turns. 50d4 turns would mean that, on average, you herb bushes would die out much faster than they grow.
Is it 1d1000 turns between generations, or is it 0.1% chance on each turn? It doesn't make much difference for the first 100 turns or so, but at 500 turns, there's a 60% chance of no generation if it's a 0.1% chance per turn.

Anyway, I think the biggest issue is that there are completely "stable" patterns... so here's my suggestion: Give bushes a number-of-generations limit, rather than a turn limit. On creation, each bush will last for 2d3 generations (beyond the creation generation step). This guarantees that, should it have three neighbours, it will reach "blossoming" stage. It also maximises the life of the bush to 6 generations.

And, should you try to set up a 2x2 stable set, then there's a fairly reasonable chance that two bushes of the four will die on the same turn, thus ruining the stability.

There could perhaps also be the ability to give the bush more life, say by watering it. Perhaps each time you pour water (or holy water, but not unholy water) on a herb bush, it adds 1d2 (or maybe 1d3-1 for regular water and 1d4-1 for holy water) generations to its lifespan... perhaps those with Gardening could get more generations from watering (in this case, I'd make it 1d2-1 for regular water and 1d3-1 for holy water, and then make it 2d2-2 for gardeners with regular water and 1d4-1 for gardeners with holy water).

12-06-2012 05:37 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
Anyway, I think the biggest issue is that there are completely "stable" patterns... so here's my suggestion: Give bushes a number-of-generations limit, rather than a turn limit. On creation, each bush will last for 2d3 generations (beyond the creation generation step). This guarantees that, should it have three neighbours, it will reach "blossoming" stage. It also maximises the life of the bush to 6 generations.

And, should you try to set up a 2x2 stable set, then there's a fairly reasonable chance that two bushes of the four will die on the same turn, thus ruining the stability.
Good alternative to the turn based lifespan. It also give a little more predictability of when a bush should be picked dry, for the player to decide ofcourse. My main concern was that I wanted to give the PC enough time to reach all the bushes in the Big Room ,for example, before they die.

12-06-2012 05:43 AM
"Making raising stats, -piety and healing sorted easily without much perseverence."

So what would "much perseverance" be? Grinding for holy water/potions of stat gain, or settling for lower stats, less piety, etc.? Or what?

12-06-2012 06:15 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by mike3
"Making raising stats, -piety and healing sorted easily without much perseverence."

So what would "much perseverance" be? Grinding for holy water/potions of stat gain, or settling for lower stats, less piety, etc.? Or what?
Playing the game and gaining enough items/living sacrifices to convert into piety, rather than pressing w5 next to a bunch of herb bushes for 3 hours.

Basically to limit the amount of herbs so that it is still sufficient for some stat raising, piety, food, healing and alchemy. PC's with Herbalism, maybe Gardening still benefits more.

12-06-2012 09:05 AM
Ancient Member
Hmm. I'm fine with this suggestion, although I'd prefer nerfing herbs in a different way.

With a nerf of stat-gaining herbs (for example by making potentials meaningful as suggested in other thread) + making herbs either non-sacrificeable or reducing their piety output after sacrificing a certain number, the imbalances would be fixed without resorting to this.

12-06-2012 12:17 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
Is it 1d1000 turns between generations, or is it 0.1% chance on each turn? It doesn't make much difference for the first 100 turns or so, but at 500 turns, there's a 60% chance of no generation if it's a 0.1% chance per turn.
Neither. It is something pretty absurd. The formula almost certainly has something to do with prime factorization or divisibility of the turn counter, something like if(number of prime factors of turn counter) >= 1d1000 then next generation or if((turn counter mod 1000) is divisible by 1d1000) then next generation.

12-06-2012 02:49 PM
Ancient Member
I love the Game of Life engine that is in the game and would hate to see it spoilt. I think the effort should be to balance the end-use of the herbs rather than the generation of the bushes themselves. To that effect I've made 2 new feature requests to balance stomafilla and spenseweed. There is already a feature request to balance stat rises from herbs.

12-06-2012 03:47 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
Hmm. I'm fine with this suggestion, although I'd prefer nerfing herbs in a different way.

With a nerf of stat-gaining herbs (for example by making potentials meaningful as suggested in other thread) + making herbs either non-sacrificeable or reducing their piety output after sacrificing a certain number, the imbalances would be fixed without resorting to this.
I, for one, am for the suggestion in the RFE you refer to. But, still do we really want to see every PC reaching those potentials with (boring)ease. By following the guidelines in my suggestion, farming herbs will be interesting and limited.

Yes, I did consider reducing piety gains as an option, but then they can still be sold which defeats that option. Making herbs not sellable is something that won't fly either.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey
I love the Game of Life engine that is in the game and would hate to see it spoilt. I think the effort should be to balance the end-use of the herbs rather than the generation of the bushes themselves. To that effect I've made 2 new feature requests to balance stomafilla and spenseweed. There is already a feature request to balance stat rises from herbs.
As I understand my suggestion it only changes stable patches, making herb bushes to be mortal, rather than immortal. You can still do your explosions.

12-06-2012 04:03 PM
Ancient Member
Herbs aren't worth very much to sell. You'd have to scum for an awful lot of herbs to be get enough to get anything useful out of it. Much easier just to use sis if you're really desperate for gold.

12-06-2012 04:07 PM
Ancient Member
http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1117

Still no-one requested nerfing the stat-raising herbs? The suggested maximums can still be reached with boring ease and replenished after stat drains or corruption effects. I melee Lich King's, don't mind taking drains. It will be back up there in no time.
So, for now, this suggestion still stands.

12-06-2012 11:55 PM
Ancient Member
makes much more sense than tweaking a feature that is already quite difficult to abuse for newbie players.

We are heading down the path where only extremely experienced players will be able to finish the game if you complete nerf out herbs.

12-07-2012 02:17 AM
Playing the game and gaining enough items/living sacrifices to convert into piety, rather than pressing w5 next to a bunch of herb bushes for 3 hours.
If a player (character) decides "I shall raise my piety and get crowned before carrying on with the advancement of the plot," then it makes no difference (from an out of game ethical standpoint) whether they spend 3 hours standing next to some herb bushes to obtain sacrifices, or spend 3 hours killing things to obtain sacrifices.

Also, your answer to that person's question is not good enough. Your version of "playing the game" is to wander around MURDERING everyone you see and stealing their possessions. Not every character is an assassin, there also exist farmer and healer classes, y'know! Didn't I read somewhere that it is possible to win the game without killing anyone?

From a game balance standpoint, it's possible that one method is so much more efficient than the other, as to make everything else obsolete. And if that's the case, then I'd agree that some balance is called for. (In other words, if you can gain piety by farming herbs 10x faster than by murder, then even people who prefer murder will choose to farm, and those people will be unhappy, and will submit RFEs.) However, I've never noticed such a huge disparity, and I've never seen hard evidence to support such a claim.

12-07-2012 04:27 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
makes much more sense than tweaking a feature that is already quite difficult to abuse for newbie players.

We are heading down the path where only extremely experienced players will be able to finish the game if you complete nerf out herbs.
This is not completely nerfing out herbs, it's limiting it and making it not as easy as it is. You can still play the Game of Life and use water and seeds if you want to make it unlimited herbs.

Personally, I never bothered( ran right over them, unless I had Alchemy) with herbs until I got spoiled and was still able to finish unspoiled, this is to make farming more interesting and reduce abuse of the system, if a new player can figure out herbs, good for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pim
If a player (character) decides "I shall raise my piety and get crowned before carrying on with the advancement of the plot," then it makes no difference (from an out of game ethical standpoint) whether they spend 3 hours standing next to some herb bushes to obtain sacrifices, or spend 3 hours killing things to obtain sacrifices.

Also, your answer to that person's question is not good enough. Your version of "playing the game" is to wander around MURDERING everyone you see and stealing their possessions. Not every character is an assassin, there also exist farmer and healer classes, y'know! Didn't I read somewhere that it is possible to win the game without killing anyone?

From a game balance standpoint, it's possible that one method is so much more efficient than the other, as to make everything else obsolete. And if that's the case, then I'd agree that some balance is called for. (In other words, if you can gain piety by farming herbs 10x faster than by murder, then even people who prefer murder will choose to farm, and those people will be unhappy, and will submit RFEs.) However, I've never noticed such a huge disparity, and I've never seen hard evidence to support such a claim.
What I meant with 3 hours is for those pursuing pre-crowns, those that only farm for crowning wiil not farm for long(well they won't farm at all anymore) . The same amount of piety can be obtained by just continuing the plot, no grinding is needed to raise enough funds for a crowning. Those that wanted to farm for pre-crowns would have been able to as I explained above, but this has become a non-issue as Grey's RFE has been implemented. And farmers and healers both get the Herbalism skill and a healer can thus obtain Gardening( if the Gardening RFE gets implemented), because killing Keethrax is a noble thing.

Maintaining farms in the suggested system would have been Much (interesting as opposed to boring)Perseverence, but see below.

The piety gains is a non-issue:http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1382

If this gets implemented you would be playing the Game of Life to sustain your farms, where as all one has to do now is make multiple 2x2 patches.

12-07-2012 04:32 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
Not all beings can be sacrificed - undead, unlife, and anything bred or summoned, for instance. It is possible to completely pacify a location, but it's not possible to prevent dangerous beings from generating while using live sacrifices.

Similarly, killing beings to obtain sacrifice fodder is a dangerous pursuit, especially if the bred/summoned exploits (like the gremlin bomb) are fixed.

12-11-2012 09:55 AM
The Creator
I'm hopeful that the various measures taken to curb the power of herbs will be sufficient. If not we'll reopen the issue.

+ Reply