General UI: If a single edible is lying on the ground there should be no selection dialog
issueid=4826 07-07-2017 03:15 PM
The Creator
Number of reported issues by adom-admin: 499
General UI: If a single edible is lying on the ground there should be no selection dialog

Right now you even have to select the thing you want to eat if there's but one. This doesn't make any sense (unless you are blind) because the item already was described to you. If ou thus consciously decide to eat it, the game should just do so without even inquiring about which of the one items you want to eat.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4826
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

07-07-2017 07:28 PM
Make sure I don't eat that something automatically if I have an elternative in my inventory

07-07-2017 08:07 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Make sure I don't eat that something automatically if I have an alternative in my inventory
This. There are situations where you want to eat something from your inventory rather than what's on the ground (need to eat a curative herb, corpse is bad, satiated and better corpse in pack, etc). Requiring a more elaborate sequence of keypresses (:u, select food item OR I, select food item, select eat OR move before eating) to avoid getting screwed over is making the interface worse, not better.

EDIT: A better solution might be to show food items on the ground in the same menu as food items in the backpack.
Code:
--- Select your next meal ---

Food on the ground ('%')
   a - kobold corpse
Food ('%')
   b - iron ration
   c - curaria mancox herb

07-07-2017 08:25 PM
Ancient Member
Whatever you do, the behaviour should be consistent. Regardless of whether there are one or more edible items on the ground. If there is a special case for singe food items, you risk making the game more unpredictable to play.

07-07-2017 11:30 PM
The Creator
Ok, I have to admit that you convinced me that the change is not a good idea. Unless ADOM starts differentiating between eating stuff on the ground or in the backpack. But that's beyond its current capabilities. I'm withdrawing this one.

07-08-2017 01:38 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Grond
EDIT: A better solution might be to show food items on the ground in the same menu as food items in the backpack.
Code:
--- Select your next meal ---

Food on the ground ('%')
   a - kobold corpse
Food ('%')
   b - iron ration
   c - curaria mancox herb
By the way one more thing implemented in Cataclysm DDA well. Worth looking If it's gonna be implemented. RFE?

07-08-2017 12:57 PM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
By the way one more thing implemented in Cataclysm DDA well. Worth looking If it's gonna be implemented. RFE?
It would be a great RFE but sadly it's extremely hard to implement in ADOM due to ADOM's overlay complex and underwhelmingly flexible internal item structures. Legacy code of 25 years is the only excuse I have. In other words: Nothing that would get changed in the near future. But please RFE it as the idea is sound!

07-08-2017 05:32 PM
Ancient Member
Created an RFE for the combined eat menu: 4835.

07-09-2017 06:47 AM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by Grond
Created an RFE for the combined eat menu: 4835.
Thanks!

+ Reply