rename elves!
issueid=4887 08-09-2017 02:39 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
rename elves!

I think this suggestion would sync well with the makes elves different (1), (2) RFE's.

This suggestion is in two parts, so if you disagree with one and not the other it may make it harder to vote one way or the other. Who cares!

Part 1.

This is purely based on what the names connote to me. Perhaps the imagery is different in your mind.

High elf: it brings to mind the pictures of a very tall elf with its nose stuck in the air haughtily.

Grey elf: Grey connotes 'boring' or 'bland' in english.

So what you have is 'pompous elf' and 'bland elf'.

Suggested name changes:

High elf -> Wood elf.

This brings to mind an image of an elf perched on a tree branch with a leaf green hood and fingers dancing over a harp.

Grey elf -> High elf.

Since their description suggests pompousity it would be more apt to label _them_ the high elves.

Part 2.

Mist elves out-elf the elves! Calling them a mist elf is like calling a regular elf a mist human. I also don't like the description in the manual, it is way longer than the others and seems to demean the other elves that are already supposed to be spectacular beings!

I am not sure what I'd want to call them, but I suggest removing the 'elf' identity entirely for the above reasons. Some suggestions (not sold on any of them):
Wisp/Whisp
Esper
Sprite
Issue Details
Issue Number 4887
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 2.3.0 (r73)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-09-2017 05:44 AM
Mst elves can be changed to Faries. There is an RFE: 3313.

Other than that I don't mind renaming Grays to something good. High Elves should stay.

08-09-2017 11:01 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Mst elves can be changed to Faries. There is an RFE: 3313.

Other than that I don't mind renaming Grays to something good. High Elves should stay.
Sounds like my suggestion gives the best of both those worlds?

08-09-2017 02:03 PM
The Creator
Mist elves (and the other ones) are going to stay as they are. Pointless complications, pointless validations of existing documentation elsewhere (Internet) and it's my vision of Ancardia. So it stays as it is.

08-09-2017 02:17 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
Mist elves (and the other ones) are going to stay as they are. Pointless complications, pointless validations of existing documentation elsewhere (Internet) and it's my vision of Ancardia. So it stays as it is.
Glad you liked it.

08-09-2017 04:05 PM
You can play DwarfFortress if you hate elves btw :-P

08-09-2017 06:18 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
You can play DwarfFortress if you hate elves btw :-P
Actually I've probably rolled more elf characters (grey elf in particular) than any other race.

08-10-2017 08:39 AM
The Creator
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
Glad you liked it.
LOL, a little :-) Sorry, I hope that I didn't sound too harsh. I just don't feel overwhelmed - to put it carefully :-D

10-20-2020 07:32 AM
Ancient Member
Ooo and eek, I also think quickling is a much better name than 'spryte' (combination of spry = fast and sprite). eh? eh?

+ Reply