Remove mist elven "skin destroyed" message with Immune to Pain
issueid=1902 02-05-2013 11:27 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Remove mist elven "skin destroyed" message with Immune to Pain

Immune to Pain effectively blocks mist elven iron damage (if it makes 1 point/turn), however, the message is still displayed on each turn.
The message is technically correct, since PC just ignores the pain, but it still spams all over the place.

Moreover, such situation blocks extended move commands (w5 etc.) as well as eating (adding a prompt on each turn).

I suggest removing the message and side-effects (mentioned extended moving and others) in case of no damage.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1902
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 11
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 14
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-27-2013 01:06 PM
Ancient Member
I second that, in my case I put on elemental gauntlets but at the same time my PC wears preserver so the regeneration rate offsets HP loss due to wearing the gloves.
I still lose the regeneration when receiving damage from a monster attack but otherwise my HP is stable and I'd certainly like to disable the message temporarily for comfort.

06-16-2014 09:14 PM
I'm bumping this up in the hope that it'll get fixed now when message spam is getting some attention.

Removing the message from mist elves with Immune to Pain would also fix this extremely annoying behaviour. Currently, at every step in the wilderness, a mist elf with, say, Shezestriakis and immune to pain talent generates insane amounts of spam. You need to press space ten times just to clear it. That's ten times for every step.

And yeah, I'm aware that pressing return would clear it faster, but I feel the issue still stands.)

06-17-2014 09:23 AM
My suggestion would be to replace the message with something indicating that the effect is neutered. "Your skin itches." or something like that. That would also allow to suppress the message via adom.msg while not suppressing the message for actual damage.

Voting for, in general the mist elf setup needs tweaking.

06-17-2014 09:46 AM
Ancient Member
In the long run we really need the (x10) feature for this kind of things. I doubt pressing enter or just not seeing the messages will be enough for the general public - what if in between the spam there is an actually important thing?

06-17-2014 10:12 PM
The message recap :m function condenses all the certain tension messages and whatnot into certain tension x11 or whatever. It doesn't do it with things like the herb-use messages (cuz they're too long?) but it would be nice if that could happen to the in game message lines at the top

06-26-2014 09:34 PM
The Creator
Hu? Immunity to pain shouldn't block damage completely. The code says:

if (PCHasTalent(TL_IMMUNE_TO_PAIN) && amount > 1)
amount--;

I need to check this in the game. And surprise: I receive the minimum damage of 1. So: What could it be that you are observing?

I need more information as otherwise I have to close this as "not reproducible". (The message spam topic is a different issue and probably will be fixed as soon as we introduce a new graphical message buffer at the bottom of the screen (although it then still is not fixed in ASCII mode)). But as long as - in my game - damage occurs it seems like an important message...

06-26-2014 09:47 PM
Ancient Member
TB, see: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2770

This "bug" is long-standing: 1.1.1 through p20 at the very least. Note my many caveats in the issue report - I think the current behavior is very good behavior and would be very disappointed to see a worthwhile talent turned into something no one takes.

Unfortunately, I've no idea why your code seems to disagree with this. Perhaps some sort of rounding issue or double application?

12-18-2017 07:57 PM
Ancient Member
Bumping this up, as it is rather unfortunate that you need to suppress this message for the sake of sanity. I've attached a save file with a mist elf wearing iron gauntlets safely.

01-18-2018 12:51 AM
We definitely need the (x10) feature back.

03-01-2019 06:00 PM
Bumping this up in hopes of more playability for mist elves. It's agonizing to not be able to use 'w' commands.

+ Reply