Don't attribute cats killed by door traps to the PC
issueid=5538 10-28-2017 02:44 AM
Number of reported issues by sillihai: 43
Don't attribute cats killed by door traps to the PC

Title. You can freely abuse monsters with breath attacks to kill cats for you, or dungeon floor traps, so it doesn't make sense to hold the player guilty for cats killed by door traps (explosion, falling stone block).
Issue Details
Issue Number 5538
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-28-2017 11:44 AM
I believe it works as it does because springing the door trap is a result of a player-initiated action—cats don't open the doors by themselves, as opposed to stepping onto ground traps. So if anything, it does make sense that it is attributed to the player.

Whether I like it, that's another issue. For cats, this isn't too much of a problem. Minions, however, instantly become hostile (at least in my admittedly not very rich experience) and can kill a Bard or a Necro sooner than they'd be able to pacify them. So something could probably be done about this, but at least w/r/t cats it seems to be working as intended.

10-28-2017 12:30 PM
You can also order companions to kill them for you. A player-initiated action, yet it isn't punished. And I like having these different resources for dealing with cats, other than simply outrunning them, locking them in a room or getting them killed in Dwarftown or wherever.

11-05-2017 11:39 PM
Ancient Member
My preferred method is to create a trap, preferably the boulder/collapsing ceiling one and just guide the cats over them repeatedly.
Seems like a pretty straightforward player-caused death, yet it's not penalized.

11-06-2017 10:19 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
My preferred method is to create a trap, preferably the boulder/collapsing ceiling one and just guide the cats over them repeatedly.
Seems like a pretty straightforward player-caused death, yet it's not penalized.
This strikes me as very inconsistent behavior with the Door trap example.

11-06-2017 10:57 PM
Ancient Member
The real inconsistency is between floor fireball traps and door traps. Triggering an unknown floor fireball trap does not give the PC kill credit, but triggering a known floor fireball trap does. The PC does not receive the same treatment for door fireball traps - they get kill credit regardless of whether the trap was revealed or not.

+ Reply