Potions of (boost/potential) -stat- and effect on companions
issueid=3730 06-12-2015 11:12 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Potions of (boost/potential) -stat- and effect on companions
Increase the range of effects of thrown potions of -stat-

Recently I've been entertaining myself with leveling the cute dog a little bit. After an ancient RFE which allowed to throw potions of boost -stat- at companions without it going hostile this was certainly easier. However, currently the effects of thrown potions only give monsters extra HP, which is pretty boring. I would like to propose two parts.

1 Allow to throw potions of -stat-, potions of potential -stat- and potions of gain attributes at companions withouth them going hostile. As far as I can see, the old RFE fixed only boost -stat- potions.

2 Differentiate the effects of potions:
Potion Blessed effect Uncursed effect Cursed effect
Potion of strength +5 damage, +10 max HP +3 damage, +6 max HP +1 damage, +2 max HP
Potion of potential strength/potion of boost strength +3 damage, +5 max HP +2 damage, +3 max HP +1 damage, +1 max HP
Potion of dexterity +5 DV, +5 speed +3 DV, +3 speed +1 DV, +1 speed
Potion of potential dexterity/potion of boost dexterity +3 DV, +3 speed +2 DV, +2 speed +1 DV, +1 speed
Potion of toughness +20 max HP, +5 PV +10 max HP, +3 PV +5 max HP, +1 PV
Potion of potential toughness/potion of boost toughness +15 max HP, +3 PV +10 max HP, +2 PV +5 max HP, +1 PV
Potion of gain attributes +5 levels +3 levels +1 level

For all other potions (willpower, learning, charisma, beauty, mana) +1/+3/+5 max HP C/U/B (as currently is for boost -stat- potions) seems like a fair thing.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3730
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r58
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-13-2015 09:03 PM
Ancient Member
I would suggest that intelligent companions (like Hawkslayer) could simply be given a potion to immediately drink it, instead of throwing it at them, which is a very strange way of treating your friends ;)

06-14-2015 08:51 AM
Ancient Member
I did an rfe recently making the observation that companion power is limitless. The toughest enemies in the game can fall to the cute puppy if you level him up enough. I think this problem needs to be brought under control before stat boosting is allowed. Even without the out-of-control leveling, I think companions are perhaps the most potentially busted part of the game and might require a deep rethink of their implementation. It feels like the game was balanced around mano-o-mano fights.

While your suggestion makes logical, intuitive sense, looking at it from the angle of 'what does this actually do for the gameplay?' I can only see it falling into the category of either 'pointless' or 'ripe for abuse'.

06-14-2015 03:39 PM
Ancient Member
Finally a way to speed up my SoFS molochs ;)

As long as the maximum speed is capped (i.e. no quickling moloch), I like the idea

+ Reply