RFE: New Weather Effects
issueid=1253 09-19-2012 03:59 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
RFE: New Weather Effects

I think ADOM needs some more weather effects. At present, there's only rain, which is pretty easily subverted by appropriate gear, and is fairly uncommon. A few extra weather effects added in would give the game more flavour, and maybe provide some added benefits for classes like rangers/druids (or survival skill) who have a number of otherwise fairly useless wilderness class powers. Some suggestions might include:

Snow: Movement in wilderness takes twice as long. PC suffers occasional cold damage. Drakelings suffer reduced speed. For added awesomeness: green wilderness tiles get changed to white. Wilderness water squares freeze over (WDC is inaccessible).
Lightning strikes: PC can be randomly (rarely unless doomed) struck by lightning for massive shock damage + equipment destruction.
Acid rain, rain of fire: PC takes acid/fire damage and suffers acid/fire damage to inventory
Brush/forest fires: PC takes fire damage while in a plain/forest. Alternatively, the fire is a wilderness encounter that can be evaded. If evasion is unsuccessful, the PC is placed on an empty map where they take fire/smoke damage until they escape. For added awesomeness, after a square is subject to a fire, its type is changed from forest to grassland (or to a new type of square, such as badlands).
Solar eclipse: Wilderness and all wilderness encounters are shrouded in darkness.
Storm of raw chaos: PC is corrupted with each step.
Drought: Food consumption in the wilderness is doubled. Survival checks fail much more often.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1253
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Rejected
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 3
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-28-2012 02:21 AM
I can add some more suggestions:

Hail: PC takes lots of water, cold & physical damage, inventory rusts.
Fog: visibility reduced to 0 while travelling and to 1 in wilderness locations, chance to be ambushed increased.
Typhoon/tornado: PC takes damage, location of the PC changes in the wind direction.
Luckly PCs can see rainbow, northern lights or falling star but I have no idea what it can give rather than rare message. Maybe a wish? :)

I completely against acid rain and rain of fire.
Storm of raw chaos can be good idea to happen more frequently as background corruption increases.

Brush/forest fires is very interesting idea! :)

It will be nice if darknight have the same effect as solar eclipse.

12-10-2012 01:08 PM
The Creator
Most of them IMHO are too extreme to happen out of the blue. It might be interesting to devise a more complex weather system for ADOM II but for ADOM that's just too much.

+ Reply