Pet Loyalty
issueid=237 07-09-2011 03:11 PM
Number of reported issues by Aielyn: 17
Pet Loyalty
A new way to handle pets in JADE

Originally, I posted this as a comment in an ADoM feature request. Since I'd like to see this done for JADE as well, and it's best to implement it from the start, I'm posting it here now to make sure it's seen before the pet code is done.

Anyway, what I'm picturing is a pet-specific variable that can take positive or negative values. The more positive the variable, the greater the loyalty. The lower the value, the more likely that the pet will 'rebel'. If it's sufficiently negative when the pet rebels, it will turn hostile. If it rebels (less likely per turn, but pet is more likely to spend more time in this range) in the midrange, then it will simply lose interest.

As for *how* to influence the value (I'll call it "Pet Loyalty"):

1. Pet Loyalty naturally decreases over time, not entirely unlike piety (but always decreasing, not moving towards zero).
2. Pet Loyalty can be increased through feeding the pet. Different pets prefer different foods, and there are foods that certain pets simply will not eat. In this sense, also somewhat like piety. Pets could also have a second variable, "hunger"; if at the maximum, Pet Loyalty starts to decrease at an increasing rate. If at zero, you can't continue to feed the pet, because they're simply not hungry at all.
3. Pet Loyalty can be increased through healing the pet after it has been injured. Conversely, injuring the pet yourself significantly reduces Pet Loyalty (note that it doesn't immediately turn the pet hostile, in this case, unless the pet is already significantly negative in loyalty).
4. Certain classes get reductions in Pet Loyalty decay in certain situations; Farmers for race-based pet species (Human farmers have Big Dogs, for instance), Druids for any "natural" pet species (dogs, cats, bears, etc), Merchants for humanoids (influenced by Charisma, though), and Bards in most situations.
5. Some pets have preferred "gifts" that can also influence Pet Loyalty. For instance, Big Dogs will take bones even if not hungry, while many of the "Chaotic" humanoid species, such as Goblins, like to be given weapons.

Now, as you might imagine, leaving a pet unattended for a significant period of time would result, due to Pet Loyalty decay, in a pet that may become disinterested or even hostile. This provides an impetus to keep the pet with you, so that you can keep it happy with you.

As this is JADE, and I could definitely see extra functionality incorporated, I could see it as possible that you leave your pet (if it's a non-intelligent creature) in the care of an NPC in a city, and this would prevent the loyalty value from decreasing beyond zero (pet may not remain loyal with perfect guarantee, but it won't become hostile, at least), and would slow the decrease rate, too. For intelligent creatures, simply leaving them in a house you own in a city (presuming you can own a house) would be sufficient to have a similar effect.
Issue Details
Issue Number 237
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM II (formerly known as JADE)
Category Gameplay
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-09-2011 03:26 PM
Ancient Member
There should be some advance warnings when a pet is close to becoming disinterested/hostile. "-mob- glares at you in a hostile manner" and "-mob- seems to be lost in its own thoughts".

07-09-2011 04:13 PM
Ancient Member
I suppose the pet loyalty decay rate would depend on the species of the pet. In real life not every species is equally loyal, for example dogs won't betray their owner unless he treats them REALLY REALLY wrong (and this is true even if the owner is not a human farmer), but the same can't be said of, say, a tame wolf.

07-10-2011 02:46 AM
I do like the idea of having it so that species informs the decay rate of the loyalty. As I see it, the natural decay rates would follow something along these lines:

slowest: Unlife, non-intelligent Undead (zombies, for instance), Lawful non-humanoid creatures
very slow: Any animal that is routinely domesticated (such as dogs), Lawful human and humanoid creatures, and creatures considered "noble" (Dragons, Griffons, etc)
somewhat slow: Neutral humanoid creatures (eg/ Beggars) and creatures used to following orders (Giant ants/bees, for instance), Gargoyles and Margoyles
average: Anything not noted in other categories, especially animals that are known for being tamed, but not particularly loyal (Bears, felines, rats), Eyes
somewhat fast: Animals not known for being tamed (insects, reptiles, wolves, bats, Rabid Dogs), Chaotic humanoids who aren't either berserk types or criminal types
very fast: Intelligent undead (eg/ Liches), Wyrms, Quicklings, Pixies, Chaotic animal hybrids (Owlbears, for instance), Demons, Minotaurs, Mimics, Doppelgangers, Rust Monsters, Ghosts, Summoners, Elementals, Grues
fastest: Chaos creatures, Black unicorns, Gibbering Mouthers, Worms, Chaotic humanoid berserk types and criminals, Shadow creatures (note: not Shadows themselves, they're Intelligent Undead), and some special cases (for instance, Karmic Dragons)

Note that there would also be some special cases of un-tameable creatures, like the completely mindless blobs, slimes, and gelatinous cubes, as well as all unique NPCs unless specifically chosen to be tameable (as an example, there's Hawkslayer in ADoM, an unique NPC that can be tame).

EDIT: Perhaps there could also be effects of character and creature stats. For instance, I could definitely see a justification for difference in Willpower between PC and pet could influence either loyalty decay rate or chance of losing pet status given the loyalty level. I could also see pet's Learning influencing tameability, making the creature harder to tame but more loyal, perhaps?

07-10-2011 10:02 AM
Ancient Member
Undead summoned by Necromancy are not "pets" in ADOM terms, they're slaves, and I think they should be treated seperately - one of the special necromancer powers should be that eventually undead controlled by necromancers are completely incapable of disobeying the player, as in, they should not have loyalty decay at all. To the point at which even a quickling king lich caught in a fireball blast will not turn on the PC. Controlling mindless undead perfectly should be an early necromancer power, and complete control over intelligent undead should come at a higher level. That power should also be exclusive to necromancers (of a certain level) - all other players dabbling in Necromancy get what they deserve.

07-10-2011 12:15 PM
While I do agree in general with the idea of Necromancers getting ultimate loyalty from most undead as their class-based pet effect, I also think that there should be a condition on that for the truly powerful undead. Something along the lines of, for Lich Kings and other "greater undead", the Necromancer needs to have a Willpower stat greater than the pet/slave. Otherwise, they could be overwhelmed by their slave's willpower, at which point it will turn on them.

If you could be 100% certain that an extremely powerful pet/slave will obey you no matter what, then it would be somewhat overpowered. Just a small danger is enough, I think, and the willpower condition should be sufficient.

In fact, willpower should generally influence it all, anyway. If you had a willpower of 1, then I find it hard to believe that you'd even be able to control, say, a Big Dog with a willpower of 20. Trying to control a Lich King would be nearly impossible in such a circumstance.

+ Reply