New item effect (and a few ideas for items that might have it): Teleport Prevention
issueid=1264 09-27-2012 12:35 PM
Number of reported issues by Aielyn: 17
New item effect (and a few ideas for items that might have it): Teleport Prevention
We have methods of teleport control, but how about a method of prevention?

Since I've been criticised for going on for too long with an idea, I'll put a short version at the front, and then elaborate in the long version after that.

The idea: Add some new items that have a new effect, one that shouldn't require a lot of coding (just modifying the teleportation-handling code). The effect? Prevention of teleportation. The primary use for players would be to prevent teleportitis from affecting actions (like eating or reading), but it would also prevent on-demand teleportation. Some such items may even be autocursing or locking, thereby being a danger for any character that might want to use teleportation to escape a dangerous situation.

Elaboration: The main thing I wanted to do here was to provide some sample ideas (already posted elsewhere, but copied here).

1. Astral Shackles - they autocurse and they block all forms of teleportation. These are the basic item, doing nothing more than affecting the ability to teleport. I'm actually tempted to suggest that, to make them a little more risky, they should be autolocking rather than autocursing - so you have to destroy or transmute them to get them off. Autolocking would go very well with the idea of them being shackles. There could perhaps be a way for those with pick locks to be able to unlock them, though.

2. Gloves of Impotency - this is the Wizard's big danger. Autocursing, these not only block teleportation (with perhaps the exception of teleportation traps), but also all spellcasting. They do have an upside, though... I'm just undecided between four options (or a combination of them):

Option 1: Gloves grant resistances to all four elements, death ray resistance, and petrification resistance.
Option 2: Gloves significantly reduce damage due to magic in a direct sense. A magic equivalent of Gloves of Peace, in effect.
Option 3: Gloves help to make melee easier, by boosting accuracy and/or damage (or perhaps by increasing a stat?). This helps to compensate for removing Spellcasting for Wizards by giving them a little more chance in melee.
Option 4: Gloves prevent all stat drains by monsters.

3. Shoes of Anchoring - Definitely the most troublesome of the items, these are autocursing shoes that increase movement costs (equivalent to the effect of cursed SLBs, but unaffected by BUC status), increase water damage based on BUC status, and reduce the weight limit for ice bridges to (BUC) 1750/1500/1000 stones. This can make rivers pretty much a no-go unless you have water breathing, and the movement cost is difficult. The one real upside is that kicking damage is significantly increased. Could be quite useful in conjunction with a circular kick, I suppose. They could also be useful as a thrown item (like throwing an actual anchor).

4. Helm of Astral Stability - This is probably the nicest of the items (but also the rarest), granting real advantages and not autocursing or locking. Not only does it prevent teleportation, but it also reduces corruption (say, by 10 percent, because the astral plane is corrupted, but the helmet prevents any incidental contact with that plane), increases PV, and resists death rays (reasoning: as I see it, death rays don't cause physical death, they're effectively cutting the target's mind - astral form - from their body. This helm blocks that astral knife, protecting you).

I recognise that ideas 2 and 3 would require additional code creation, as they both have additional effects that aren't already in the game... but they just go so naturally with the idea, I didn't want to leave them out. Ideas 1 and 4 are more straight-forward, only requiring code creation for the teleportation prevention effect, and otherwise having effects that should already be in the game (thus pretty much requiring either flags attached to the item or copy/pasting of code fragments from other items). Option 4 could even become a new artifact, and perhaps also provide a stat boost... say, to Mana, or to Willpower.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1264
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Other (please specify)
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 4
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 15
Votes against this feature 6
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-28-2012 04:58 PM
Ancient Member
I don't think that the gloves should /block/ spellcasting--even gauntlets or peace only give a massive to-hit penalty that can be partially offset by going Berserk. Maybe reduced range and/or damage would be more ideal.

09-29-2012 03:16 AM
That is probably a good way to handle it, although I'd also make it increase energy costs of casting, so that casting is slower. That way, it impacts all spells, not just offensive ones.

10-03-2012 08:57 PM
What if, for the gloves, they just have a -Willpower penalty? I'm pretty sure that reduces both damage and range. Make it significant, something like -10 or more, and bam, you've got 'Impotency'. Also, granting resistances to the elements would work thematically, as the Gauntlets of Peace make melee harder to hit but also prevent more melee damage from being taken.

10-04-2012 04:15 AM
Ancient Member
Gloves of impotency would be pretty good for a barbarian in any variation.

10-05-2012 05:10 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Gloves of impotency would be pretty good for a barbarian in any variation.
and mindcrafters.

12-30-2012 08:33 AM
Maybe Gloves of Impotency should also increase spellcasting cost for all spells by 100% or more(in addition to other effects), similarly to Priest's class powers to decrease that cost.
I've got the same idea about teleport blocking today, I think it worths implementing. Maybe there should be an armor prefix/suffix for teleport prevention also. What do you think about "of astral block" or "astral blocking"?

12-30-2012 09:04 AM
maybe 'of stability' with added -Conf

12-30-2012 09:33 AM
Ancient Member
Voted yes to the general idea. Some of the implementations need a little tweaking, but the overall "blocks teleportation" effect would be cool to see on some rare items/artifacts.

12-30-2012 11:03 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Voted yes to the general idea. Some of the implementations need a little tweaking, but the overall "blocks teleportation" effect would be cool to see on some rare items/artifacts.
The "implementations" were meant to be sample ideas, anyway - intended to demonstrate how you could create appropriate items to suit the new effect, ones that are balanced in a way that increases the variety within the game.

12-30-2012 07:08 PM
Ancient Member
Items that prevent teleportation would be extremely useful for wizards who are stuck with teleportitis. For those who don't know, teleportation always interrupts book reading. (There are no corruption-free no-teleport levels in the game, right?)

12-30-2012 11:33 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
Items that prevent teleportation would be extremely useful for wizards who are stuck with teleportitis. For those who don't know, teleportation always interrupts book reading. (There are no corruption-free no-teleport levels in the game, right?)
What about other long actions? Smithing?

It would also be useful when trying to grow herbs, as you're less likely to miss generations.

12-30-2012 11:41 PM
Ancient Member
And in the new improved Darkforge.

12-31-2012 03:46 AM
These items will be extremely useful for players who have intrinsic teleportation, but are unlucky enough for not having any means of teleport control. And of course, the new Darkforge can be very dangerous for any PC with random teleporting(intrinsic or corruption), thus teleport prevention shoud be quite useful.
Another idea - teleport prevention can be a class power for mindcrafters, in addition to teleport control at 1st level. It fits for general mindcrafter idea perfectly! :) It won't be very useful for them, though.

12-31-2012 04:04 AM
Ancient Member
Having intrinsic teleport prevention would be a very annoying class ability (or intrinsic). Sure, it is useful in DFG, but any time you have +TCtrl (and aren't a book-reading class), you actually do want +Tele, as it is always nice to have, and can even save your bacon. [some book-reading classes may want it towards the end of the game now, as well, what with the change to the casting cost of Teleport]

12-31-2012 04:29 AM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
Having intrinsic teleport prevention would be a very annoying class ability (or intrinsic). Sure, it is useful in DFG, but any time you have +TCtrl (and aren't a book-reading class), you actually do want +Tele, as it is always nice to have, and can even save your bacon. [some book-reading classes may want it towards the end of the game now, as well, what with the change to the casting cost of Teleport]
Oh, I'm sorry, I mean ability, that can be turned on/off(like mental shield), not really teleportation blocking all the time.

06-24-2013 11:53 AM
Maybe it would be easier to just make a brand new item suffix that would have the effect of 'blocks teleporting'?
<item> Of Stability
I'm not sure if each suffix counts as 'one item' in our 'item pool', but if not, it might work easiest to set a single flag that way. IF armor <suffix>, THEN !teleport.

Having other items with extra effects might be neat, or other items that block teleportation, but I think having armor that just straight up did it would be useful enough. That way, you could take it off and put it on as needed, have the slight penalty of having to put on new armor (so there would be a delay), and be able to have on-demand teleportitis-blocking if you're a spellcasting class.

+ Reply