Challenge and Question subforums
issueid=59 05-23-2008 03:45 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Challenge and Question subforums
Additional subforums to make content more accessible

With the forums enjoying ever-growing members and activity I thought I should maybe raise the issue of creating a couple of subforums to better manage posts on the site and to make everything more accessible to everyone, so that new and old players can use the forums equally well. These are 2 suggestions I believe may help improve forum use, both under the ADOM wing:

Challenge Games
This is, as you might guess, purely for the hosting and discussion of group challenge games. They're reasonably popular, and with a separate subforum they'd be more easily accessible, especially when there are many on at once. More importantly though I think it's important that they don't clutter up the general forum and get in the way for people who aren't involved and just want normal discussion. New players especially might find the forum daunting if on looking in they see it dominated by competitive games. It would also allow people following challenge games avidly to keep on track of them better, and would make it easier to run a lot of simultaneous games. We could end up with loads of games going on all the time, sometimes with just a few participants and sometimes involving most of the forum.

Questions and Answers
Another simple idea - a place for anyone to raise a question about the game so that it can be answered by other memebers. We seem to get a lot of new people coming to the site and asking questions straight away - might make the forum friendlier for them if they have a specific place they can do this and know they'll get an answer quickly. Wouldn't just be used for new players of course - many an experienced player needs to ask at times what to use a wish on or seeks advice on corruption or taking down the Mana temple. This subforum could be filled with all sorts of questions, and then could be easily searched if you're after something that's been asked before. A sticky FAQ thread could even be made after enough questions have come in. Questions would still be welcome in the General discussion page of course, but this subforum would allow for them all to be concentrated in one place more.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
Issue Details
Issue Number 59
Issue Type Feature
Project Website Development
Category Forums
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-25-2008 08:29 AM
Ancient Member
Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
OK.

I think already existing competition threads should be moved to the new competition subforum (if it gets created).

05-30-2008 08:56 PM
Ancient Member
Those subforums would improve the organization of threads. I'm for the suggestion.

07-05-2008 12:15 PM
Ancient Member
Agree on the Competition subforum. I don't see the point of an extra "Questions and Answers" forum, though - oftentimes, discussions are started BECAUSE someone came and asked a question! In the end, much of the actual discussions would then suddenly take part in the "Questions and Answers" forum. Not really an improvement - it would probably confuse people a lot instead.

+ Reply