Crash after switching focus
issueid=3988 11-17-2015 03:33 AM
Number of reported issues by hapro: 15
Crash after switching focus

This may or may not be the same crash described here (http://steamcommunity.com/app/333300...1136921002552/).

I started a new character and without moving or pressing any buttons, I started doing stuff in a browser on my second monitor. After a few seconds (it wasn't instantly when I switched to the browser), the ADOM screen faded and I realized it crashed when I tried to go back to it.

I was running the Steam version on Windows with the graphics settings set to ASCII and windowed mode.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3988
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All Steam Versions
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM r61 (v2.0.0)
Fixed Version ADOM r63 (v2.0.2)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Users able to reproduce bug 5
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

11-17-2015 03:49 AM
Came here just to report this. I don't think it was happening to me in the prerelease version, but it had been a while since I tried it. I tried a few times, it reliably crashes if I don't have focus on the ADOM window.

11-17-2015 07:01 AM
Ancient Member
Happens to me too (Win 7, 64-bit). Can reproduce almost 100%. Alt+Tab out of full-screen ADOM, do stuff in other windows, and it practically always crashes :/

I always play ADOM in fullscreen and ASCII if that helps.

11-17-2015 08:34 AM
Just happened to me, too.

11-17-2015 09:43 AM
...and now it just crashed without switching focus.

11-17-2015 11:07 PM

11-18-2015 12:42 AM
Did a little more testing, I'm using Windows 7, 64 bit. I'm playing in ASCII mode, windowed. I first noticed the crash in the Puppy Cave, and then again in the Village Dungeon. I left the game open with the inventory screen open, left it while I was at work and came back just fine. Then went out to the world map, switched focus and had another crash.

I started up another game, went into the Village dungeon, saved, reloaded, switched focus and started timing on a stopwatch until I got the "adom.exe has stopped working" message. Did this 5 times and it was pretty consistently happening around the 1:25 mark.

Windows event viewer errors show the faulting module as either noteye.dll or SDL2.dll.

11-18-2015 08:59 AM
Ancient Member
What I can say is that when I switch focus from the game often it tends to crash all the time after a while, yes...

On the other hand, yesterday I started a game with the specific care of not switching focus, and I have several hours of gameplay without crash.

So the issue is definitely related with the game losing focus.

Probably not very useful as the comment by the previous poster is much more detailed, but just in case.

11-18-2015 10:13 AM
Same here
Every time, easily reproducable - ~30 seconds without focus and "adom.exe stopped working". And yes, no crashes if no switching focus

Windows 10, 8GB RAM, ASCII mode
No exception details, so I believe it's not a native crash window but something shown by the app

So if there is a way to enable tracing and send you the log, I will gladly help

11-18-2015 10:15 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
It was me, deleted that negative review after I calmed down and after a dev replied

11-18-2015 01:43 PM
Once I turn tiles on, I don't have any more crashing.

Even when the window has focus, with ASCII turned on, if I sit and do nothing for a while(I timed it three times, it came out to the same 85 seconds I was seeing earlier), I experience a crash. I might've been jumping to conclusions about the window losing focus being important. Can anyone else reproduce a crash just by sitting still and not touching anything?

11-18-2015 02:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by vdeogmer
Once I turn tiles on, I don't have any more crashing.

Even when the window has focus, with ASCII turned on, if I sit and do nothing for a while(I timed it three times, it came out to the same 85 seconds I was seeing earlier), I experience a crash. I might've been jumping to conclusions about the window losing focus being important. Can anyone else reproduce a crash just by sitting still and not touching anything?
Will try today

11-18-2015 04:12 PM
I can also confirm this bug - alt-tabbed in ASCII mode and the game crashed after < 1min.

11-18-2015 04:22 PM
I can't confirm this bug as tabbing has been fine for me, in both modes - but I've only played in tile lately.
I did however have a CTD for playing for too long a period, and one when playing Fullscreen after a screensaver started up.
Seconding that the issue is likely related with the game losing focus (and possibly also due to resolution changes).

11-18-2015 05:04 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by vdeogmer
Confirmed. Sitting still and not doing anything in fullscreen ASCII mode crashes the game here, 100% of the time.

11-18-2015 06:07 PM
Confirming: it's not about focus, it's about idle time. ~1 minute without input, windowed mode, ASCII from the start, generated new character and waited, no other actions / window or setting changes

11-18-2015 07:00 PM
My wild guess it's autosave, happens every minute and no changes in state from prev. minute found

11-18-2015 07:53 PM
I don't think it's autosave, unless I completely misunderstand how it works, it is strictly based on actions taken, not time(there is an adom.cfg option to customize the number of steps between autosaves, set mine to 50 because of crashing). I would wager it's something related to noteye integration, because of the faulting noteye.dll, and MAYBE it's trying to loop the music track?

Can anyone else experiencing the issue confirm that using tiles prevents this crash?

11-18-2015 08:10 PM
Seems plausible. Or it's timing out polling for user input. I have sound/music volume set to 0, but maybe that still plays silent music instead of turning it off.

11-18-2015 11:24 PM
Administrator
We identified the problem, it's fixed for R62. But it still needs some more testing before we release it.

11-19-2015 08:38 AM
Quote Originally Posted by jt
We identified the problem, it's fixed for R62. But it still needs some more testing before we release it.
Do you have any suggestions for how to avoid it in the meantime (other than not idling)?

+ Reply