Option to disable numerical damage in messages
issueid=5644 11-11-2017 10:56 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Al-Khwarizmi: 62
Option to disable numerical damage in messages

I'm not sure in what version this was introduced as I have been a bit busy lately, but I have just noticed in 2.3.8 that now, some combat messages give damage figures (as in "the giant rat hits you for 3 damage", etc.)

Personally I have always considered the lack of such numbers in ADOM's messages to be a nice feature, not a bug, as the ADOM message buffer is like a narration of what the character does in game, which could be told by a narrator in the game world. In my view, numbers break immersion. "The giant rat hits you" feels like a narration, while "The giant rat hits you for 3 damage" obviously doesn't, it breaks the fourth wall as it tells me that the character is inside a simulation which has a numerical concept of damage points.

While I understand that other players may want the numerical info, those of us who roleplay (or at least I) would appreciate an option to disable it.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5644
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-12-2017 07:49 PM
This makes sense, but one issue is if you aren't always remembering exactly where your health was in the prior turn, you will still want the feedback of how much damage you suffered.

DCSS solves this by doing two things: first, the health bar highlights in red the portion of health that was lost on the last turn (ie, past the bar representing your current health percentage, is an additional colored red portion extending to where it was last turn); Second, the messages themselves indicate approximate health lost, both by descriptive terms and increasing numbers of ! puncuation (so players can learn what, say, !!! represents in numerical range if they still want the numbers).

I think if something like the DCSS method was used, it would work really well.

11-13-2017 05:39 AM
100% in favor of the RFE as OP suggested, the new behavior totally breaks immersion. I would also add to this the gold counter message when you pick up gold.

+ Reply