Make Boss Monsters More Threatening
issueid=6013 02-13-2018 05:38 PM
Number of reported issues by Jarinex: 10
Make Boss Monsters More Threatening

You sense an imminent and blood-chilling threat...

A monster appears that has a name, a description that sends a chill down your spine.

You fear you may not survive this battle...

You rush towards your opponent, ready to face death.

You attack

WHACK

It dies in one hit.

"Well, that was anticlimactic”

A recent patch has made boss monsters more likely, and I LOVE seeing them appear. In early levels, they are sort of threatening. However, in later levels, they are a joke, as they crumple in one hit (unless they are one of the tougher monsters). I think it would be nice for later levels to have tougher boss monsters appearing, rather than the ones that just die instantly. One idea is to maybe have them scale to your level, as that would make them at least somewhat of a fun challenge.
Issue Details
Issue Number 6013
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 6
Suggested Version ADOM 3.1.0
Implemented Version ADOM 3.3.0
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-14-2018 04:38 AM
I think this might be a longer-term balancing endeavor and in my opinion, there are other things that are more important to balance first (Class powers, namely). Nonetheless, I still believe this should get done eventually.

04-23-2018 10:42 AM
Can PC become cursed/doomed for this boss fight?

04-23-2018 12:39 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JagaJazzist
Can PC become cursed/doomed for this boss fight?
That would be too harsh, considering that the most common boss you meet is Huckree in the early game.

Scale them with level or make the weaker ones not appear when you are of high level yourself, I say.

04-23-2018 01:11 PM
I would introduce a level scaling formula that would depend on the current PC level (can also add an added layer of the DL of the floor/area you in for more complexity):

If PC level is 1 - 15, boss should scale to player level +2
If PC level is 16 - 30, boss should scale to player level + (player level * 0.3)
If PC level is 30 - 40, boss should scale to player level + (player level * 0.5)
If PC level is 40+, boss should scale player level + (player level * 0.8)

This would keep bosses challenging into the late game and keep you scared of seeing them. Numbers may need to be tweaked somewhat, but figure that around level 30 you are strong enough to potentially take on a much stronger mob (or flee).

04-23-2018 05:36 PM
I really dislike scaling to PC level. The level of "imminent and blood-chilling threat" mobs should be matched to the area.

09-07-2018 04:44 PM
The Creator
Yet another round of increasing boss power. Let#s see how you like it.

09-07-2018 06:37 PM
Their dropped loot has been anticlimactic too, considering the descriptive buildup they get :)

+ Reply