poisoned missiles unstacking
issueid=3872 09-07-2015 06:17 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by auricbond: 264
poisoned missiles unstacking

After firing this stack of arrows and then retrieving them I see the following:

Code:
- blessed arrow of dragon slaying (+3, 1d6+3) (p)
- blessed arrow of dragon slaying (+3, 1d6+3) (p)
- 2 blessed arrows of dragon slaying (+3, 1d6+3) (p)
How come?
Issue Details
Issue Number 3872
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 8
Affected Version ADOM r59
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 6
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

09-07-2015 11:20 PM
Poisoned weapons/missiles seem to have an amount of poison, which wears off hit by hit, until they are no longer poisoned. (See also: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3403)
So, despite the appearance in inventory, these aren't all the same item: they're arrows with (say) 3, 2, and 1 hits of poison respectively.

09-07-2015 11:42 PM
Which is fine in theory, but horrible in practice, because missile stacks breaking down into heaps of 1-2 make you waste a turn reloading every shot or so. I wonder if we could have a fix that would make them appear in the inventory as a single stack but still keep different amounts of poison on them (and give an appropriate message when a missile runs out of poison and turns normal again, so you don't think it disappeared). It probably requires either a lot of work or a couple of nasty fixes in the code though.

09-08-2015 07:35 AM
Ancient Member
Wouldn't it be better to just make arrows poison their target once, after which the poison wears off?
That way you don't have to introduce some new complex mechanism of action to deal with just a bunch of poisoned arrows but instead you have two stacks - still poisoned and not poisoned.
For a sword or a spear, I understand the concept of poison acting more than once - it's a big piece of metal and you can wound and poison multiple enemies with it.
However, for an arrow/quarrel, it's a small amount, probably just enough for a single shot.

09-08-2015 05:15 PM
I'm missing the quiver feature again...

09-08-2015 05:17 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
I'm missing the quiver feature again...
Not just you.

09-14-2015 06:56 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Not just you.
Not just you and you.

09-14-2015 11:49 PM
Really. One (athough not very simple) feature to fix all the issues with stacking ammo once and forever.

TB, The Creator, please hear us, consider quivers for implementation once again. This will make archery in ADOM awesome!

11-23-2015 11:55 AM
From RFE - Simplify stacking of poisoned ammo:
Problem: When you dip a stack of ammunition into poison then fire it and pick it up again, the ammunition no longer stacks.
Desired solution: Poisoned ammo should continue to stack for as long as it is poisoned.

And getting into theorycrafting a bit:
Hypothesis: Items currently track how much poison is left on them, or something similar.
Proposed solution: Make items be 'poisoned' or 'not poisoned', and assign a % chance for poisoning to go away completely.

+ Reply