Cannot get to L+ from L (bug or game mechanics change?)
issueid=4050 11-20-2015 06:21 PM
Number of reported issues by yurri: 2
Cannot get to L+ from L (bug or game mechanics change?)
Despite massive sacrifices my character doesn't move to L+ from L

I am trying to get my level 17 character crowned and have achieved 'extremely close' status through sacrifices at Dwarftown's altar. However, I can't get to 'absolutely close' despite all my efforts, I suspect because I am not of extreme alignment (a white L in ASCII mode).

To advance to L+ I tried dozens of live sacrifices, wearing amulet of order, I have verified that I am not cursed or doomed (drank a potion of insight), also tried savescumming to sacrifie 3 more artifacts only to see it didn't have any effect.

I also tried giving candy to children and numerous sacrifices of small amounts of gold, again with no effect. Is this a bug or something has changed in game mechanics? I've been playing ADOM for years, and usually my lawful characters automatically become L+ way before I even reach 'extremely close' status when going for crowning. The problem was the opposite, to get rid of extreme alignment for precrowning...

Does this look like a bug?
Issue Details
Issue Number 4050
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM r61 (v2.0.0)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-20-2015 06:28 PM
Ancient Member
You cannot get to L+ (or C-) from sacrificing alone. Giving candy to children gives a lawful boost that could get you there in theory, but it's very small and nullified by you being level 17.

My advice would be 1. keep your amulet of order (bless it if applicable), 2. go to a safe place, take off all your armor, equip items with negative PV if you've got some, then put a whip in the tool slot and 'u'se it repeatedly. Mind your HP. I think giving plenty of gold to Ruun if the Dwarftown altar was generated lawful also works.

11-20-2015 06:38 PM
Seconding the above comment. I've heard several times that chaotics and lawfuls can't achieve extreme alignment by sacrificing at their respective altars, and I've never managed to do it myself.
This is probably why the Neutral road is plagued with a host of other small troubles: reaching extreme alignment is one of those things that are balanced to be easier where others are harder. Staying there on the other hand is a nightmare.

11-20-2015 06:46 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kelibath
This is probably why the Neutral road is plagued with a host of other small troubles: reaching extreme alignment is one of those things that are balanced to be easier where others are harder. Staying there on the other hand is a nightmare.
Praying for healing in the CoC graveyard and getting crowned because killing undead took you from N- to N= #justneutralthings

That's why I prefer chaotic alignment, it's easy to get and easy to keep :)

11-20-2015 06:53 PM
Thanks everyone, so it is not a bug. I will delete the thread.

11-20-2015 06:55 PM
Well, I am interested in why it takes longer nowadays than it did for your older characters, but that may be an intended feature even so.

11-20-2015 06:58 PM
Apparently there is no way to delete a topic. Admins, please feel free to get rid of it then.

+ Reply