Safer "do you really want to do this" prompts
issueid=4895 08-15-2017 12:44 AM
Number of reported issues by FIQ: 4
Safer "do you really want to do this" prompts
A mere 'y' as prompt can be problematic for misclicks or if playing with "vi-keys"-based setups

Hi.
So currently, there are various prompts for doing (potentially) stupid things like entering water, attacking peacefuls, etc. All that is needed to dismiss them and do the action is to press y. This can be pretty easy to misclick, but worse -- it greatly hampers play with a "vi-keys"-like controls setup. I just lost a somewhat promising character start when wandering out of the starting village when moving northwest with 'y' too fast, not noticing that suddenly a friendly was blocking my way, and thus attacking him, promptly surrounding me and killing my char.

3 solutions, from 'worst' but probably easiest implementation, to best/hardest:

1: Make the prompts require a capital Y, which is harder to mistype.
2: Force you to type 'yes' to really perform the action
3: Don't perform the action at all unless you use a special prefix -- for example "move", "northwest", or "fight", "east".

Regardless of what is done, it would be most practical for existing players if this was a configurable setting. What would make it better even is if you can also configure to don't actually prompt.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4895
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM r59
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone "Ease of Use" UI
Votes for this feature 6
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

08-15-2017 12:47 AM
I agree with this. Other games have a "paranoid" type setting that prevents VI-key users from being punished during yes/no prompts, I don't see a reason why ADOM couldn't. As long as the option is toggleable, I'd be ok with any of the options suggested.

08-15-2017 12:52 AM
No reason not to support more config.

08-15-2017 07:49 AM
Force y/n prompts seem to be a common feature across roguelike game, don't see a reason not to support it either. As long as it is configurable.

Separating "move" and "attack" command has been there for a while. At least there is an RFE to allow movement with no attack entirely. As of now you can uqiup two shields to simulate this, it will guarantee you don't hit anything.

08-15-2017 04:52 PM
I've played a few Roguelikes with a separate attack command, and it works pretty well. (I.,e, you have to press 'f' for 'fight' or something instead of just bumping into a monster) In most cases - where you're just fighting one monster - there are an identical number of key presses (since if you're fighting just one monster there is no need for specifying direction), and even in cases where you are fighting multiple opponents its streamlined enough that you don't really notice a difference.

Making it a toggle-able option would be really cool. I know for me, it would certainly increase the number of characters who end up getting the Ring of the Master Cat. :) (I always end up killing a cat b accident by running into it when running around)

08-27-2017 12:16 PM
To be clear, with #3, I meant something that is only actively prevented with peacefuls/friendlies (it already is for friendlies, you just displace them instead). So while you *can* use Ctrl+F (for example) to force-fight anything, hostile or not, you are only prevented from fighting monsters "normally" if they're peaceful/friendly/tame.

12-02-2019 06:18 PM
Ancient Member
I would like to see this implemented, as long as it is restricted to actions that are common prompts but taken quite rarely in the course of normal gameplay. The listed actions (attacking friendlies, entering water) meet this criteria [the latter might be a little iffy, but eh]. Even if it were limited to just attacking friendlies, this would be a huge boon because that's surely the #1 fuckup -- it's something that almost never intentional. I think option #2 is better because I already use Y for continuous movement.

Dogbreath's suggestion of introducing a force attack command to attack friendlies would be better since it could remove some annoying dialogs. (Since bumping into friendlies would then never give you a prompt to attack them.)

+ Reply