Increase Difficulty of Air and Earth Temples
issueid=1118 07-05-2012 07:40 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Increase Difficulty of Air and Earth Temples

In the theme of making the endgame a little more interesting, I thought I'd propose a few modifications to the Air and Earth temples. The idea here is that, for the most part, these two temples are sort of trivial. It's very rare that you hear of people dying in these places--it's the ToEF and the Mana Temple that most people worry about. Some small changes to these temples, I think, would make them of a more comparable difficulty.

-Air Temple: Enlarge the inner room where the Summoner lives. What makes the Summoner dangerous is the monsters he can summon. Unfortunately, he's stuck in a tiny room crammed full of grues and elementals, so he generally can't actually do all that much summoning. Increasing the available space for him to fill with more summoned monsters would, I think be an easy fix that would make the Air Temple more interesting. I'd suggest maybe just adding one extra row to the edge of the room.

-Earth Temple: This one lacks a special feature. How about, on that entire level, "The floor is covered in thick mud", which increases base energy cost to 1250 or 1500.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1118
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Unknown
Status Implemented
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-10-2012 03:11 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Carter
The earth temple beasties only tend to move at you if you rush right into the middle. I would expect an approach similiar to the ToEF where you activate a set of monsters, then walk back will be just as effective as stair hopping.
I would guess I am not the only person who simply brings wand of fireball with 25+ charges and rushes the middle frying all these swooping beasties. At any case that strategy just got even better:)

12-11-2012 01:01 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, I know of that, Carter. Unfortunately, sometimes corridors is laid out in such a way as to make being surrounded an inevitability.

Edit: I am personally not worried about the change much, but I imagine other sets of players will find this much more difficult.

+ Reply