[Balance] Restrict stomafilla sacrifice
issueid=1382 12-06-2012 02:45 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
[Balance] Restrict stomafilla sacrifice
Stop too many stomafilla herbs from being sacced

There are currently restrictions on certain sacrifices like animated trees and breeders/summons to prevent or restrict the numbers of easy sources of piety. The same should apply to stomafilla, which can be easily farmed to give large amounts of piety, even giving several easy precrowns early in the game. A god should only accept around 10 before saying "ENOUGH WITH THE HERBS, ALREADY. I WANT SOMETHING MORE MEATY!"

An alternative would be to reduce the piety gained from stomafilla to around a tenth its current value. This would still allow scumming/farming, but would make it so tedious that it would be beyond the effort of most sane players.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1382
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-18-2012 11:04 PM
Ancient Member
That can hardly be true (considering ToEF itself is start of mid-game..and I don't know why you wouldn't want to be crowned before that [even on like merchant or thief]). There's a lot of good sense in crowning before the water temple, as well.

Also 'suck it up' is hardly a helpful attitude..

12-19-2012 01:03 AM
Ancient Member
It's perhaps not what you want to hear. Sometimes it can be quite helpful advice.

The point is not that PCs aren't going to want to be crowned (obviously they want to be crowned starting from level 1) - it's that it perhaps shouldn't be as easy as farming tons of weed. The point is that perhaps the fact that deities assigned enormous value to a simple plant that can be harvested in enormous numbers is the silly part of it all. It might have gone unchanged for ten years - but that doesn't really make it any less silly.

Are easy stomafillia crownings another sacred cow that we must not touch?

12-19-2012 01:19 AM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
It's not necessarily the loot taking that I consider grinding, it's the entire process of: having to look through all the loot and pick out the good things, managing your inventory [this could bear repeating as it's easily the worst part], creating stashes on the way to shops (because god knows your strength isn't high enough to carry all this stuff [even when not picking up everything] if you run into a few vaults or tension rooms), and, of course, the utterly horrible shop interface when you finally sell all your junk. It's exhausting and I really abhor it.
Sounds to me like the solution to that is to fix the shop interface, etc, rather than to reinstate actual grinding for herbs.

01-03-2013 09:03 AM
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the issue here, but does this actually fix anything? With a little herb farming and some cooked lizards you can wait around in Dwarftown for Sis to replicate and then either sac them or sell them and sac the gold. Optionally you can expend a little holy water and speed things up somewhat but you're still essentially trading time on the clock for sacrifice fodder.

01-03-2013 09:15 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by tootboot
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the issue here, but does this actually fix anything? With a little herb farming and some cooked lizards you can wait around in Dwarftown for Sis to replicate and then either sac them or sell them and sac the gold. Optionally you can expend a little holy water and speed things up somewhat but you're still essentially trading time on the clock for sacrifice fodder.
Or do what I do and continue the plot while the Si's grow. Atleast I'm not standing still, which was the case with the Stomafillia.

01-03-2013 10:20 PM
Ancient Member
Don't sis replicate more slowly than herb regenerate?

01-03-2013 10:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
According to the guidebook herbs are 1d1000 turns and the Si is just 1000 turns. Sis do grow exponentially though.

01-04-2013 12:01 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
More importantly, Sis weigh 10s each, while stomafillia herbs weigh 2s each, and I could be mistaken, but I think that Sis are worth less in piety than stomafillia. And because Sis grow exponentially, they're slower at first, and then grow so quickly that you could suddenly get crushed.

But most importantly, one can use Sis without grinding.

That said, I think I suggested modifying ongoing sacrifice values for items, so that sacrificing a lot of something will result in lesser total piety. If the PC gives up one stomafillia herb, the god should be very pleased at the PC giving up something that is so valuable. But if the PC is giving up hundreds of stomafillia herbs, the god would start thinking that stomafillia must be relatively easy for the PC to obtain, and consider it not as good a sacrifice as would be expected if they were all worth as much as the first one.

If each subsequent sacrifice (keeping in mind that sacrificing 100 of them at once would be equivalent to sacrificing them one at a time in this regard) were to be lower by, say, 1%, and we suppose that the first one is worth 100 piety points (just to emphasise the resulting number), then sacrificing 100 of them gives you about 6340 piety points, or less than the equivalent of 64 full sacrifices. I'd make gold work a bit more gently, perhaps choosing it to drop by 1% per 1000, and I wouldn't place such a restriction on live sacrifices.

01-04-2013 08:00 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, according to rumours, live sacrifices are the most valuable. It is still a rumour.

+ Reply