[Balance] Reduce PP cost of Teleport
issueid=2206 07-01-2013 04:05 AM
Number of reported issues by sytar6: 8
[Balance] Reduce PP cost of Teleport

This nerf has, for PCs with rudimentary spellcasting abilities, made one of the most valuable spells in the game worth as much as a single blessed potion of booze or, if we're generous, a single uncursed scroll of charging. The implementation of this RFE has been like a blunt instrument instead of a scalpel. Does the problem of abusing teleport exist with *all* spellcasters, or is it primarily wizards and priests? The culprit here might be the fact that their class powers reduce the PP cost of all spells when they really should apply to "most" spells, i.e., every spell but Teleport.

When an RFE is clearly directed at balancing spellcasters, I find it a little baffling that it somehow turns into hitting melee characters with the nerfbat.

edit

Ugh, accidentally made this a bug instead of an RFE.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2206
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 15
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-03-2013 08:47 PM
Ancient Member
Not the spell, the player's doing. The player not try it now.

07-03-2013 08:50 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I hope you can understand why I think this a bit silly.
There is something very silly going on here to be sure. I'm pretty sure it's not the teleport nerf, though.

07-03-2013 09:21 PM
Ancient Member
:D. Very witty.

Majority rules. Such a sad world.

P.S. I wonder, percentage wise how many grey elven wizards didn't win the game compared to other R/Cs, Starsign/statroller characters included?

07-03-2013 10:01 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I could cast it when I didn't want to traverse explored levels. Which was just neat. Now, I have to eat pixies, hope I get the corruption and wear items of teleportation.

I hope you can understand why I think this a bit silly.
But you didn't know that booze recharges wands before this discussion? If you get some booze from beggars and get the guaranteed wand, you can recharge it a lot. Please, try it. You will see that you can win games without the spellbook, or pixies.

07-03-2013 10:04 PM
Ancient Member
Oops, not before this discussion. Before joining the forum. I have since won 3 Lithium men, without the wand or spelbook. And took one into the chaos plane, just to see what happens with a CK.

P.S. As, I said this is not to make the game easier for me or more fun. I still enjoy each game. I had fun with the spell and think others should too. I honestly don't care if ppl stat roll wizards, it's a single player game. If they have fun scumming, so be it. Good for them, if they manage to finish the game in 5000 turns. It still is not only the teleportation spell that is to blame. Rather a combo of good play, many spells, some luck and statrolling.

07-05-2013 04:35 AM
Ancient Member
Also itemrolling. If you want to win in <10000 turns, you pretty much need to rollscum a spellbook of teleport. There's really no other way. Not that speedruns are the basis that this change is being made, beyond being an example of egregious abuse of teleport spells (among other things).

07-05-2013 07:30 AM
Ancient Member
A friendly reminder to teleport enthusiasts - I have heard no mention of Thomas modifying the "Teleport Self" mindcraft power in a similar manner. If you want to teleport all over the place for 35 PP a pop no matter the location, that could be your new favorite class! Just got to reach level 40 to do it!

07-05-2013 08:33 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
A friendly reminder to teleport enthusiasts - I have heard no mention of Thomas modifying the "Teleport Self" mindcraft power in a similar manner. If you want to teleport all over the place for 35 PP a pop no matter the location, that could be your new favorite class! Just got to reach level 40 to do it!
And that's another reason why this nerf is good. It makes that class power (and mindcrafters in general) much more balanced.

07-05-2013 11:30 AM
Ancient Member
Lol. Lvl 40 mindcrafter has very little need for it though.

01-22-2014 08:09 PM
The Creator
My view actually is a different one and it's more about story than balance or anything (you might have noticed that the classes in ADOM never have been balanced in any case): Teleportation is a powerful spell - there s no reason why it should be easy in any way to learn use for non-spellcasters. Like wish and others. It just shouldn't be. Nothing more, nothing less.

This I reject this RFE.

+ Reply