Config variable for melee confirmation prompt on user-specific enemy types
issueid=5872 12-26-2017 08:55 AM
Number of reported issues by hapro: 15
Config variable for melee confirmation prompt on user-specific enemy types

It would be nice to have a config variable that allows the user to specify a list of names of enemies (regex or contains string) such that when one of those enemies is attacked in melee, the player is prompted with: "Are you sure you want to attack this %s? y/N" Basically the same thing as the backstabbing friendly NPC warning.

Accidentally killing a cat or karmic while moving around corners in the past was unfortunate but the penalty wasn't too high. Now, accidentally killing a dwarf will lock the player out of a significant amount of content, and the only way to really be guaranteed to avoid it is to play very, very slowly which isn't very fun.
Issue Details
Issue Number 5872
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 3.0.5
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-26-2017 11:24 AM
Disagreeing. The Rolf quest is by no means mandatory to take and if you want to go that way, you need to be careful, or be lawful, which removes 98 % of that risk.

However, there should be some message such as cat's spirit when you kill the first dwarf as a sign that you have ruined your Rolf chances.

12-26-2017 03:23 PM
Disagree, avoiding dwarves is very easy, and this change would basically remove karmic from the game. No thanks

12-26-2017 06:11 PM
Only if you use it, and since it is configurable you would be free to not use it. In my opinion, no one will argue that ADOM is a game that tests mechanical skill. The challenge of karmics is to figure out how to kill them without melee, not because you accidentally attacked it since the game decided to give extra descriptions causing a "more" prompt to appear and messing up your input.

The fact that any player can perform actions they don't intend is a consequence of inadequate input devices. With the addition of literally easier dice rolls, non-permadeath, disabled hunger, etc. I find "it's too easy" to be a weak argument. As it is a single-player game, hopefully the game strives to complement every person's playstyle as much as it can. This is a UX issue, not a gameplay issue. The alternative is to spend cumulatively hours staring at an empty screen just in case an enemy appears out of nowhere.

12-28-2017 08:53 PM
You don't have to test mechanical skill. Feel free to ignore the cat lord quest. Feel free to ignore the Rolf quest.

I see it as an extra dimension to Adom, and depending on my feeling, I either opt-in or opt-out. It's not a UX issue.

12-29-2017 02:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harkila
You don't have to test mechanical skill. Feel free to ignore the cat lord quest. Feel free to ignore the Rolf quest.

I see it as an extra dimension to Adom, and depending on my feeling, I either opt-in or opt-out. It's not a UX issue.
Are you trying yo say that if I decided to go for these quests I have no one to blame except myself about putting my mechanical skills on a trial? Than I'd say quests and (karmic monsters) are just badly designed. No, I'm not getting why people in this thread a denying existance of UX issue here.

I'm not sure if this is the right way to deal with the problem, but I didn't saw better suggestion so far.

+ Reply