Adding (undocumented?) non-numpad key input to position prompts
issueid=6543 10-28-2019 06:59 PM
Number of reported issues by FIQ: 4
Adding (undocumented?) non-numpad key input to position prompts
Add letter actions to positional prompts

Hi.
Currently, positional prompts support arrow keys and number pad. Would it be too much to ask for adding the possibility for letters to work in them as well? I'm mainly thinking of hjklyubn, because this enables full vi-keys support for users who configure a keymap suited for it (it's not like they do anything in the prompts right now anyway).

To clarify: with positional prompts, I mean the ones asking for a position on the map, such as look.

Googling around I found a few threads (on Reddit and steamcommunity) asking for this, so I'm definitely not alone.

You could also add WASD for people who want that, allthough I'm not sure how well such a keymap could be designed (after all, z is, or at least used to be, abort).

Currently I'm playing r69, because the ADOM rebirth thing seems to have shut down, and it's the last revision I happened to have handy where I can still set up a full vi-keys configuration, something the new keymap handler made impossible (I think there is a slightly newer revision possible, but r78, the next revision in hand I have a local copy of, is definitely after the keymap handler rewrite. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a version with the old handler + the new Dwarf stuff... This is with the terminal version, which I prefer over the Steam one).
Issue Details
Issue Number 6543
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM r69 (v2.2.3)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-02-2019 11:48 AM
Ancient Member
editing to completely redo this post.

As far as I can tell from playing again, look and throw / shoot (edit: and order allies) may be the only commands (Issue 5116?) that do not support non-numpad entry in 3.3.3 (Steam). Since throw / shoot can use + / - for targeting monsters (and not targeting monsters is somewhat rare -- the only ones I can think of are invisible monsters when the PC does not have +SeeI, angering non-hostiles w/o alignment hit, and D:49), I would consider 'l'ook the primary command that needs to be fixed. It's extremely frustrating to use and is intended to be used quite frequently.

The following commands accept vi-keys: wand targeting (including directional wands such as death / digging and single-square such as teleportation), renaming monsters / yourself, move to position (w*), give, kick, close door [and presumably open door and lock door], use pickaxe, drakeling spit, swap, teleportation destination.

I suspect the following commands work with vi-keys but have not checked them. I will edit upon doing so: cast spell (both directional and single-square), mindcraft prompts, potentially other commands I haven't thought of.

+ Reply