Website overhaul
issueid=1229 09-04-2012 09:02 AM
Number of reported issues by TheSnazzyKid: 1
Website overhaul
ADOM websites need a fresh look

A website is the face of a product nowadays, especially a digital product like ADOM. If someone hears about this "INCREDIBLE GAME" through the grapevine, the first place they're going to look is online. ADOM.de is the primary website that comes up with a Google search, and rightly so. Once that eager, new, potential ADOM enthusiast clicks on that link he is greeted by... well, quite honestly, not much. Now, I know ASCII based games like ADOM are minimalist to begin with, and if you're going to that website you probably already have an idea of what to expect, but the feel of ADOM is changing and I think its face (website) should also.

I use the www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com blog post as the PERFECT example of this. When I first saw the splash logo of ADOM II there was an immediate boost to my morale. It's flashier, edgier, more vibrant and has a feel of excitement to it! (By the way, Thomas... good job on doing that or finding the right person to do it for you). Even the simple, textured background instead of plain white adds a certain atmosphere to the site. I encourage all to simply open both pages and look at them side by side and you'll see the explosive difference.

I know Thomas Biskup has developed ADOM solo from the first keystroke, but I think with the ADOM Resurrection team expanding the workforce, maybe adding web development could be a part of that. I know adding an entirely new dimension to the development process, and that not even being a part of the actual game, is huge burden. However, here's a potential solution!

Put it out to the community! This is the best way to get a massive pool of the best ideas while getting a vibe for what the community feels is the public image of ADOM

I know if I knew the first thing about developing a solid website, I'd ALREADY be doing it for ADOM and proposing it. Frankly, I actually thought about picking up "Website Construction for Dummies" or something to get a basic understanding of it so maybe I could contribute some or at least speak the right language to a friend of mine that does website design. I'm sure I'm not alone with this sentiment!

POSSIBLE COURSE OF ACTION: Make it a contest. Yes, the idea contest is the car-wash fundraiser of the website world, but it's still a reliable way to get a good product with a large enough pool. Have a time limit (i.e. 30, 60 or 90 days?) and certain set of parameters (i.e. no content changes, only cosmetic and organizational shifts) and submit via a web portal for votes from the community with final determination from Thomas. Thomas could have serious engagements with the "winners" of the contest for final development.

However, this would restrict the development to mostly amateur designers and/or students and the like. It's very difficult to get a professional to do professional grade work for no pay. Maybe there are a couple golden eggs out there willing to make an exception, though. I know there are as was demonstrated with the crowd finding campaign where a few individuals DONATED literally THOUSANDS of dollars of their own money (hopefully), which I'm guessing is the cost of a professionally done webiste.

Anyway... DISCUSS!
Issue Details
Issue Number 1229
Issue Type Feature
Project Website Development
Category Forums
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0