Add possibility to command all companions and slaves at one order
issueid=3937 10-16-2015 09:53 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Add possibility to command all companions and slaves at one order
Commanding army is quite difficult in ADOM and there is no good reason why.

So my Bard / Necromancer is wandering through the dungeon. Army (say 6) of companions and slaves is following him. Occasionally my PC senses imminent danger... and out of depth monster appears. I'm not prepared to face it because my PC is on low HP, level is low because I'm usually letting companions to slay enemies, etc... No matter.

So I need to ask each my friend / slave explicitly to defend me from this monster. It just discourages from having more than 1-2 companions which feels odd for bards, necromancers, characters with music, probably druids...

Proposing the following:
After [ctrl+o] is pressed and you're asked to select a companion add a new subcommand: command [a]ll (or command [e]veryone, not sure what wording would be appropriate).
So the prompt would look like this:
Code:
[T]arget -- [M]ore -- [+] Next monster -- [-] Previous monster -- [Z ] Abort.
Command [a]ll. Target: a quicking king zombie (enslaved).
After it is selected game would bring ordinary prompt to "[a]ttack, [m]ove, [w]ait or [f]ollow you". Then each companion decides whether to follow the order and slaves are just doing what is needed.

All this should happen in one turn, no matter how many friends PC. PC is just shouting to everyone.

I assume there will be complains that suggestion is too overpowered. I don't agree with that but I'm not against if commanding everyone would require higher charisma, would have higher failure chances or even if they would be possible for bards and necromancers only. I'm thinking of this feature more like an interface feature. Asking 20 undead skeletons to wait and then to follow you is ridiculously annoying now.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3937
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 4
Suggested Version ADOM r61
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 14
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-16-2015 11:42 PM
Ancient Member
I like the idea here. Honestly, the pet interface is really clunky. What would be really nice would be a bunch of hotkeys where you could give your pets a command in a single keypress, like:

Press <key1> All pets attack nearest hostile target
Press <key2> All pets wait
Press <key3> All pets come to me
Press <key4> All pets defend me!
Press <key5> All pets target this monster (target monster)
Press <key6> All pets go here (target location)

I don't like playing with multiple pets anyway, but my experience is that usually all your pets are going to be doing the same thing, so it would be nice to streamline the process and have "select all pets" as the default. If you want to order a specific pet to do stuff, then use the normal menu.

10-17-2015 12:58 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
Press <key1> All pets attack nearest hostile target
Press <key2> All pets wait
Press <key3> All pets come to me
Press <key4> All pets defend me!
Press <key5> All pets target this monster (target monster)
Press <key6> All pets go here (target location)
This would be wonderful!

There are actually 2 new really useful commands which would be nice to have for single monster as well:
Press <key1> All pets attack nearest hostile target (meaning that once it is killed pick the next nearest and attack it).
Press <key4> All pets defend me! (attack the nearest (strongest?) monster attacking the PC until PC is safe).

I didn't think about doing so with single key press but that's really a great idea especially for bards and necromancers. Separate RFE(s) or you think it fits here?..

+ Reply