The Law skill, and changes I think would be neat.
issueid=3946 10-22-2015 02:12 AM
Number of reported issues by Elitist: 7
The Law skill, and changes I think would be neat.
Just make the announcements happen BEFORE you do something. Also give it effects that make it impact the game.

Let's pretend that the wikipedia doesn't exist for a second/everyone is a paranoid player going for Paragon of Order/everyone is freaking out because they're LN and don't want to become a beacon of balance.

Law has a flat chance dependent on the skill (with extra checks at 80/100) to STOP a player in their tracks, and prompt them with a "You feel as if you'll be transgressing some law with this action. Perform it y/n?" up to and including eating certain corpses. Law becomes a pretty nifty safety net from doing something hella dumb and pretty agitating. Recieving messages would train the skill, of course. It'd be reminiscent of listening, almost, where you don't need to do a lot, and it's overall payout is eh-tier. The messages could be set off by (a)pplying the skill, which would render this effect useless/ignorable. It's now a skill that panders to PoO's.

Law now ALSO adds a completely menial (but game affecting) effect of reducing the effects of corruption (from attacks and background) by 10% of their base corruption rate at 100 skill. Because you're lawful. This may sound like me stapling on extra things to a pretty useless skill, but I'd like to remind everyone that Alertness lets you dodge bullets.

Law also reduces acts of ChAoS (and Balance) by 10%, scaling with the skill. It's as minimal as it sounds. Now, this may sound like me gluing on yummy corn on a well polished turd, but I'd like to remind everyone that Concentration lets you regenerate 60pp per 100 turns.

Law, since it's now something that people can sort of look forward too, invest skill points into it, and expect a very... meh, change, it given to Lawful characters born on the month of the Wand and Book. Reason being "Lawful tendencies (it's harder to change)." "But Elitist, being born on a month shouldn't give you a skill, and don't bring up the Candle. It's not the same." Okay. Fair complaint. I counter with the "Falcon" star sign.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3946
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

10-22-2015 07:36 AM
That's the change to the Law skill I dreamed of for several years. There is only one reason why I still have not submitted similar RFE myself: those who already know what action is lawful and what action is chaotic might be annoyed by this prompt. You may feel so eventially yourself. There should be a way to turn prompt off and it should be switched in a more graceful way than config option.
I'd suggest a way asap and it to op before those who don't want this annoyance start voting and commenting.

10-22-2015 01:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
That's the change to the Law skill I dreamed of for several years. There is only one reason why I still have not submitted similar RFE myself: those who already know what action is lawful and what action is chaotic might be annoyed by this prompt. You may feel so eventially yourself. There should be a way to turn prompt off and it should be switched in a more graceful way than config option.
I'd suggest a way asap and it to op before those who don't want this annoyance start voting and commenting.
Please reread the issue, ixi. I've addressed this.

10-22-2015 05:57 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Elitist
Please reread the issue, ixi. I've addressed this.
Sorry, missed it, suggestion is too large. Here is it:
The messages could be set off by (a)pplying the skill, which would render this effect useless/ignorable.
However I would just switch it to the current behavior instead of completely making it ignorable. If I'm getting this right.

10-22-2015 06:22 PM
This addresses most of the things I was worried about when doing PoO (I was particularly worried because of the fortune cookie that says like "they say eating human corpses is chaotic" which is apparently not true in most cases). Maybe the y/n dialog only appears if you're still eligible so it doesn't need a toggle and it doesn't spam you needlessly? "You feel that you would no longer be true and pure if you commit this action (y/n)".

I had an RFE to allow law skill to detect lawful monsters (blink dogs behind trapped tension room doors), but I like this ticket better overall.

10-22-2015 06:34 PM
Quote Originally Posted by hapro
This addresses most of the things I was worried about when doing PoO (I was particularly worried because of the fortune cookie that says like "they say eating human corpses is chaotic" which is apparently not true in most cases). Maybe the y/n dialog only appears if you're still eligible so it doesn't need a toggle and it doesn't spam you needlessly? "You feel that you would no longer be true and pure if you commit this action (y/n)".

I had an RFE to allow law skill to detect lawful monsters (blink dogs behind trapped tension room doors), but I like this ticket better overall.
I saw that! It was well written very well, and it seemed like you kept PoO's in mind, which is good. I did not personally think it was very useful at all, which is why I remained neutral(?) on the subject. I did not want an incredibly minor buff to be the end of a skill, if Mister Biskup decided to change it.

I'd like to think, even if you're not eligible, the skill should still work (if it's toggled on), because we're assuming that a completely new player still wants to roleplay as a lawful character, even if he makes boo boos. Even good people have to do bad things for the greater good.

10-22-2015 08:46 PM
Ancient Member
It would need to work even when not eligible since you don't start with 100 law skill. You could easily mess up before you had gained enough skill to get the prompt.

10-22-2015 09:05 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
It would need to work even when not eligible since you don't start with 100 law skill. You could easily mess up before you had gained enough skill to get the prompt.
Then what would be the point of training it up to 100%?

10-23-2015 01:26 AM
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
Then what would be the point of training it up to 100%?
For the really minor in-game benefit, one would think.

ixi's point still stands very tall with that, however. Skills have to be trained either with in-game use or investing points into it. No one gets 100 skill automatically. Just be cautious.

+ Reply