Higher potentials should make training easier
issueid=4089 11-23-2015 04:53 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Harwin: 24
Higher potentials should make training easier
Difference between current and potential should affect stat gain/training

Right now the max strength you can get from carrying heavy things is the same across all races, and it takes about the same time to hit it if your potential is there. But that doesn't feel right. If I have a potential strength of 40 it should be much easier for me to go from 16->17 strength than someone with a potential of 17 or 18. Corpses also tend to stop giving benefits long before you hit that potential.

I'm playing a Mist Elf wizard right now and the fact that some of my learning/mana potentials are ridiculously high just don't seem to matter that much, because I'm not going to hit them, and training in DT is expensive at those levels.

It would be nice if super-high potentials meant something.

So, I suggest:
1) # of "training points" or whatever needed to get a stat boost is lower the farther you are from your potential. This should affect Garth to help reduce costs. Athletics could help more, etc.
2) Soft/Hard limits like normal stat boosting corpses (i.e. ogres) should be higher if you have higher potentials.

At a guess, I'd expect that the current difficulty of training should be what you'd expect when you're 3-4 points from say, a 20 potential under the proposed new system.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4089
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 7
Suggested Version ADOM r63 (v2.0.2)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-23-2015 06:05 PM
I would upvote it if potentials were harder to change. But they're not.
I would upvote if you were suggesting make attribute training easier/harder for some races or even classes, not just depending on potentials.

The way it currently is... It would change the game and encourage to increase potentials even more which I don't wanna see.

11-23-2015 06:09 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by ixi
I would upvote it if potentials were harder to change. But they're not.
I would upvote if you were suggesting make attribute training easier/harder for some races or even classes, not just depending on potentials.

The way it currently is... It would change the game and encourage to increase potentials even more which I don't wanna see.
Well it would effectively be harder for some races/classes that have lower potentials currently. Looking at my Mist Elf wizard, I started with 11/11 toughness. I got to 11/14(blessed !oPT), and it wasn't that bad to get from 11->14. If it took a lot of herbs to make that 13->14 jump, that would make a difference. Simultaneously I have 3 potentiatls > 50 but no benefit for them.

I also don't know that it's that easy to raise potentials - I got lucky with that potion, but haven't found a lot since. And my suggestion was that at the rough amount you get from a potion currently (+3), that would be equivalent to current training, and get harder as you got closer to that boosted potential.

11-23-2015 06:15 PM
Ok, you convinced me. It would be better than in current implementation.

11-26-2015 03:56 AM

11-26-2015 04:54 AM
I quite like this idea. Combine it with racial alterations and it works nicely. Will check out the duplicate.

11-30-2015 01:19 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
Not really.
There are related comments ("don't stop training when it reaches those maximums, just slow it down"), but this RFE wouldn't allow it to exceed potentials, yours doesn't seem to have a hard cap.

They are similar, but I don't think it's a duplicate.

11-30-2015 05:45 PM
Kinda weird how a gnome and an Orc both start to struggle to train strength much beyond 16. Supported.

11-30-2015 08:16 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
Not really.
There are related comments ("don't stop training when it reaches those maximums, just slow it down"), but this RFE wouldn't allow it to exceed potentials, yours doesn't seem to have a hard cap.

They are similar, but I don't think it's a duplicate.
No, it is a duplicate. Only my RFE contains additional option that stems from "speed of training depends on difference between potential maximum and current stat value" - namely, that it turns potentials into aptitudes, and thus there is no real need to completely stop training once stats reach that value.

11-30-2015 09:36 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
No, it is a duplicate. Only my RFE contains additional option that stems from "speed of training depends on difference between potential maximum and current stat value" - namely, that it turns potentials into aptitudes, and thus there is no real need to completely stop training once stats reach that value.
I did miss that you suggested being able to train all the way up to your potential.

But: You only talk about changing the speed of training once you *have* hit the maximum, and adding aptitudes.

I'll grant that they are similar RFEs, and doing one means you don't need the other (either direction), but I disagree that they are duplicates.

+ Reply