[Balance] HP-casting should be more costly
issueid=1201 08-24-2012 12:18 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
[Balance] HP-casting should be more costly
Make HP casting abuse To and Wi, or make it more expensive

At the moment late game casters have it really easy since they can cast from HP indefinitely, healing up with infinite sources like spenseweed. The Mana penalty is irrelevant, especially in the late game sections. There needs to be a bigger penalty for this abuse. Ideas:

- Change the cost of casting from HP to double the PP amount instead of half the PP amount
- Make HP-casting abuse Toughness and Willpower, and abuse them much harder than it currently abuses Mana.

I kinda prefer the latter solution since it doesn't punish early game players so badly (in the early game HP-casting can be vital for sticky situations).

Edit: Some good ideas below, including:

- HP-casting has a big satiation cost, meaning over-reliance leads to starvation (this is perhaps my personal favourite idea).
- Make each HP-cast cost an additional 5 per cent of your max HP. This prevents abuse whilst still making it a valid tactic for difficult situations.
- HP-cast spells take more time, as per the higher energy cost of book-casting.
- Casting from HP corrupts when in corrupting areas, with more corruption in areas with higher background corruption.
- HP-casting has a chance to stun/sicken/confuse/paralyse (I really don't like this myself - HP-casting is often used in difficult situations, and having this effect would simply stop people using it ever).
- Casting from HP has a chance of failure, similar to wrenching the final charge from a wand.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1201
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 2
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 7
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 8
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-08-2012 06:16 PM
Issue Changed by adom-admin