Make vials reusable after drinking a potion.
issueid=1592 12-29-2012 12:20 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blasphemous: 110
Make vials reusable after drinking a potion.

I was always wondering about underground rivers - their only purpose was to annoy the player that had no teleport or means of freezing the water (and a boon for gremlin bombers if found on D:8, but these guys are a dying breed now).
There could be another use for those.

Why not make potions that have been drunk leave bottles/vials afterwards?
Subsequently those could be refilled from any such river/lake and turned into useful potions of water.

One could argue that only bottles left after potions of water could be used in this fashion so as to prevent mixing new water from the river with remains of a previous concoction, but it would still be a progress.
You could also argue that in order to make it slightly more difficult to obtain large quantities of potions of water, you'd have to boil it first (who knows what vile goblins pissed into the river or how many orc corpses and rabid dogs took a dive), using perhaps a simple burning torch (or burning hands spell) that would require 3000-4000 action cost and always have a 10 - 20% chance of the bottle braking due to excessive heat/temperature difference?

As a lore-friendly addition, you could use the water from TotHK red lake that contains our favorite tiny, cruel-looking fish(es), and use it as projectiles to see those little beasts eating the face of some monster.
That would of course require some extra alchemical skills to avoid dipping your fingers into the lake or slipping and falling in like in case of pool-sipping, if you fail to make a concentration+dexterity check.
Also a higher chance that the bottle with cruel fish breaks in your inventory when a monster critically hits you or when you fall into a pit... this could give some flavor to the game and I doubt it would require any significant programming to implement since similar features already exist.

"The steel golem critically hits you. You are bleeding! Your cursed potion of cruel fish is shattered! Arghhh! The flesh of your groin is shredded by a swarm of the tiny beasts attracted by the smell of your blood! You die..."
Issue Details
Issue Number 1592
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 3
Votes against this feature 16
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-31-2012 04:13 PM
Ancient Member
Ok you got me convinced, considering all the pros and cons, I admit it's not such a good idea, both due to inadequate amount of work needed compared to benefits and balance issues.
I was wrong, you were right. Doesn't mean that in the future some variation of the idea won't be considered again, but for now it's going to stay put.

01-01-2013 06:05 PM
I'd enjoy seeing this implemented the same way as blank scrolls are currently implemented. No chance for an empty vial left over from drinking a potion, but an empty vial would be a separate item with its own chance of random generation. It could be filled from various places (as others suggested, rivers, pools, water traps, your own vomit, etc) to create various potions. It would be interesting, and a meaningful choice, and also a not too obvious but not too obscure thing for unspoiled players to try.

01-09-2013 03:49 PM
The Creator
I don't like this for balancing reasons.

+ Reply