Banshee should only be on her level
issueid=1699 01-09-2013 07:13 PM
Number of reported issues by rho: 10
Banshee should only be on her level
To prevent abuses, the banshee should never follow the PC up or down stairs, and should not be wishable

It was recently fixed so that the banshee's wail doesn't effect animated trees. In the past, various powerful NPCs (like orb guardians) were similarly made immune to the banshee to stop abuses. It's still possible (I think) to clear out the bug temple using wished-for banshee. In the future, maybe some other abuses will be found and require fixing. Will the monsters of the volcano need to be immune to the banshee as well, for instance?

Rather than making special case after special case, why not just address the problem at the source by making it so the banshee can never appear outside of her level. This would require:

1. Making it so the bashee doesn't follow the PC up or down stairs.
2. Making it so banshees cannot be wished for (could result in ghost lords instead, or just hearing the scream in your head, or even just nothing happening).
3. Making sure that nothing the player can use to summon monsters (spell, scroll, wand of monster creation, figurine, etc.) could ever generate a banshee. This may already be the case.
4. (Optional.) Making sure that no monsters who can summon could randomly summon a banshee. I've never seen this happen myelf, but I vaguely recall some poor unfortunate reporting it on rgra many years ago.

I understand if you'd prefer to keep this in the game as an imaginative solution to a problem, but personally, I'd prefer to see it gone.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1699
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 8
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 7
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-09-2013 07:20 PM
Ancient Member
4. (Optional.) Making sure that no monsters who can summon could randomly summon a banshee. I've never seen this happen myelf, but I vaguely recall some poor unfortunate reporting it on rgra many years ago.
Yeah, somebody had Yulgash summon several of them, died next turn.

What about, when wishing for "bashee", you'd get sheep instead? :-P

01-09-2013 07:23 PM
3 and 4 might already be the case, I don't know. I wouldn't like to see 1 and 2 implemented so I voted no. Banshees are fun, they do provide for imaginative uses, there's only one guaranteed one, and wishes are hard to come by in the first place.

01-09-2013 07:26 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Laukku
What about, when wishing for "bashee", you'd get sheep instead? :-P
Damn, I was going to say this and you beat me to it. We need sheep!

01-09-2013 07:48 PM
I agree with aerol on this one. I don't think any of 2, 3 or 4 are really overpovered enough compared to chances of them happening to warrant the chance. Number 1 is something I aren't strongly against, but overall I don't think even that is such a big deal. I think these kind of possibilities make game more fun, if they are not game breaking.

01-10-2013 10:11 AM
Ancient Member
It's still possible (I think) to clear out the bug temple using wished-for banshee.
Yes, but I don't think this is unbalanced. The range of circumstances where this is actually useful is quite narrow and it costs a wish. When you aren't strong enough it can easily kill you; when you're strong enough you may be able to clear the temple without wasting a wish on it. Even if you are in the power range where it is worth considering and you actually have a wish, most characters may prefer to spend the wish on something else.

+ Reply