cooking
issueid=2613 01-07-2014 09:20 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by grobblewobble: 72
cooking

Cooking requires a skill that is hard to train, a vulnerable and heavy item and it takes many turns. Even if you trained the skill to 100, you can still fail and ruin the corpse.

Cooking things by brute force (with fire magic or failed alchemy) is much easier. And you perform strictly better because you can not ruin the corpse and it takes much fewer turns too.

I feel it would be good to change this a little. One idea would be to buff the cooking skill a little. For example, if your skill exceeds 80, you improve the status of the corpse (from cursed to uncursed or from uncursed to blessed) when you succeed. Another option would be to nerf brute-force cooking in some way.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2613
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-08-2014 12:20 AM
Ancient Member
I see it this way. Brute force cooking as you call it is very inventive and is merely applying heat. On the other hand it is difficult to cook, so one can fail at providing an edible meal through cooking.

The first method doesn't require any skill, the latter does. ;)

The status of a cursed corpse already changes to uncursed when successfully cooked.

01-08-2014 02:50 AM
Ancient Member
Might be nice if cooking skill could move corpse status from uncursed to bless, or, heck, even cursed to blessed at high skill.

Maybe burning corpses with spells could have a higher chance of destroying the corpse, too.

01-08-2014 06:05 AM
Cooking need serious reworking if you ask me,add some new menu like Alchemy,with (few)reciepes(one unique reciepes for each race)(like:if DE have cooking he can make spider bread,spider corpse+some herb,If Dwarf cook,he can create dwarven sausage meat+booze etc)and options to simply "cook" corpses,but with this reciepes(maybie?)need add some new ingridients like flour,sugar,and (maybie?) rework survival/gardening(or add some feature,like if you have cooking+survival,you can find some ingr. in different wilderness areas forest/swamps etc)

01-08-2014 07:39 AM
Ancient Member
While buffing the skill would be great, I wouldn't want to see brute-force cooking nerfed, just because it's a very fun mechanic. It's the typical thing I mention as an example to non-ADOMers to show them how great ADOM is. It would be a pity to see that mechanic change from something that is actually useful to something that most people would never do for fear of burning a valuable corpse.

01-08-2014 09:33 AM
Ancient Member
We were discussing this bit with grobble on IRC and I've remembered an idea I've seen somewhere before:
Make normal Cooking boost the stat gains (or possibly just the chance of stat gains for various percentage corpses).

The basic idea is to make corpses cooked normally and by simple application of fire magic different. For example, fire magic cooking can turn corpses to "burnt" which last longer the same way as cooked, weigh even less and provide normal or even less satiation than raw corpses.

01-08-2014 11:05 AM
Cooking sure could use a buff. You pay for it with a lot of turns and might destroy the corpse. The reward is small in everyday use and risk is higher than fire-cooking when important.

I think that "ruining the corpse" should be relegated to a critical failure if not excised completely. At the lower part of the spectrum of results it could be replaced with "you burnt the corpse!" which would yield cursed cooked meat; and blessing the corpse with your awesome cooking skills would be great at the high end of results.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
I see it this way. Brute force cooking as you call it is very inventive and is merely applying heat. On the other hand it is difficult to cook, so one can fail at providing an edible meal through cooking.

The first method doesn't require any skill, the latter does. ;)
...and that's why you can't do the latter without having the Cooking skill! So we're covered on that front.

01-08-2014 06:48 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_
We were discussing this bit with grobble on IRC and I've remembered an idea I've seen somewhere before:
Make normal Cooking boost the stat gains (or possibly just the chance of stat gains for various percentage corpses).

The basic idea is to make corpses cooked normally and by simple application of fire magic different. For example, fire magic cooking can turn corpses to "burnt" which last longer the same way as cooked, weigh even less and provide normal or even less satiation than raw corpses.
The idea is good but I don't think the name "burnt" is good for corpses cooked by fire magic. Unspoiled players are going to think that "burnt" is a bad thing.

Maybe cooked vs. well-cooked?

01-08-2014 06:52 PM
Ancient Member
Charred? Singed? Roasted?

01-09-2014 10:25 AM
Ancient Member
Grilled :D
It would be nice if only wizards with +50 burning hands could make double cheeseburgers worth 5k satiation points :D

01-09-2014 04:57 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Grilled :D
It would be nice if only wizards with +50 burning hands could make double cheeseburgers worth 5k satiation points :D
Which would calm the cat lord to the point where he'll give the ring despite any number of cats killed!

+ Reply