Revise chaos knight class powers
issueid=4267 02-06-2016 03:30 PM
Number of reported issues by ixi: 51
Revise chaos knight class powers
I just expected a bit more from chaos knights and their relations to chaos and corruption...

When Chaos Knights were announced I was looking forward for playing such character. In my imagination chaos knights were characters specializing specifically on chaos and corruption and getting as much benefit as possible from it. Unfortunately they were implemented in a very different way. In fact chaos knights have only two class powers (L6 and L25) which gives them benefit from being corrupted. There is one more class power which allows to stay corrupted more time (L32). Other powers are relying on level, has random chaotic nature but they don't related to chaos that much. That makes impression like they're more just knights turned to chaos. Besides that there are penalties for being non-chaotic while no direct benefits from being chaotic at all. Sometimes I even have a feeling like chaos knights were implemented this way just because of timelines and pressure while there were no good ideas for their class powers.

Throwing out some ideas which could replace existing boring/annoying powers and make chaos knights even:
  • "You're able control your way to chaos and corruption. Once new corruption is acquired you may choose one of two corruptions to take." Shouldn't be a problem, there is already a way to get rid of corruptions and take something else. Of course there is a chance you acquire bad one, for example if you're choosing between decay and mana battery. Could be L12 / L18 power.
  • "You're getting used to being corrupted and suffer less penalties from corruption." Just make attribute penalties slightly less severe, intervals of negative-only effects longer and so on. For example babbling mouth could drain only 50% PP and fail only 50% stealth checks. Of course this won't be applicable to all corruptions, for example I don't see a way how make negative effects of mana battery less severe. Could be even L6.
  • "You're learning to use your corruptions for your advantage. You're getting as much profit from being corrupted as possible." Slightly buffs positive effects gained from corruptions. Mostly primary/secondary attribute gains but some corruptions could be improved in another way. For example antennae could activate more often and have larger radius. Of course this can't be applicable to all corruptions, for example there is no simple way to improve astral attunement. Could be L25 / L32.
  • "You're getting ultimate control over your corruptions. You're able to activate them from corruptions screen now." Allows to activate corruption effects like it can be done with spells and mindcraft. Of course applicable only to some corruptions. Activating corruption should cost PP or even Ma. For example antennae could cost some PP, astral attunement a lot PP like teleport mindcrafter power, apish look 1 Ma (if one ever desires to activate it). Some corrupting that are currently passive could have an activation effect as well. For example perception-buffing corruption could give temporary farsight, healing tissue could heal some wounds for PP and probably an instant scar, poison hands could be given an ability to poison weapons / ammo and unholy aura could have similar effect like scare monster on everything in immediate vicinity. Some corruption still have to be left out, for example activating very light just doesn't make any sense. Could be L50 one.
  • "You're able to stay in control despite being heavily corrupted. Now you may have 24+[Wi/10] corruptions total." Lets chaos knights to have more corruptions without transforming to WMoPC than any other PC could have. Could be L32 / L40.
  • "Chaos creatures sense a friend in you.". Generate some chaotic monsters friendly, allow to tame them by giving potions of raw chaos. Could be L18 / L25 / L32.
  • "You're absorbing essence of Chaos and Corruption." Essence of Chaos and Corruption effect is halved, it provides PV / DV / HP regeneration / PP regeneration bonus instead. Could be L25 / L32 / L40.
  • "You're getting advantage from using cursed items." From my point of view it makes sense for chaotic creature to use cursed gear to do awful things. If could be to-hit bonus for weapons, DV bonus for armor and no penalty for food.
  • "You're rewarded by chaos forces for doing chaotic actions." Every chaotic act gives random stat boost, speed boost, healing or PP restore. Could be L6 / L12.
  • "Curse and damnation no longer affects you much." Makes some cursed and doomed effects less severe. Reduces luck penalties, makes monster score critical / punching through hits more rare, item destruction less severe and other non-key things. Maybe chaos knights are ones who born to live cursed and doomed. Could be L12 / L18 / L25.
  • "You're getting HP and PP with corruption and suffering from cure corruption." Can be hidden class power started from L1.

I'm not asking for every idea to be implemented and I'm sure there is a lot of work to implement some of them. However I hope to see chaos knights with more chaos and corruption related class powers in future then they currently are.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4267
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r66 (v2.2.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

+ Reply