Mist Elf iron damage too high in wilderness
issueid=2686 01-27-2014 12:08 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Grey: 58
Mist Elf iron damage too high in wilderness
Causes instadeath with no way to react

A mist elf entering the wilderness wearing an iron item will instantly receive a barrage of "skin burning" messages with no way to react. This will instantly kill any early game character without any recourse. This seems unnecessarily punishing, and is inconsistent with how other forms of constant damage behave in the wilderness (eg. platinum girdle after chaotic act). I recommend changing it to a severely reduced number of damage hits in the wilderness so that players have the opportunity to do something about it before they die.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2686
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Fixed Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 4
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-02-2014 02:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
The problem I see is the following: Changing this opens a new way of cheating (kind of): Let's say you put on unknown armor while standing on an exit to the wilderness (as a mist elf). The armor is iron and you start to receive damage. Unequipping the armor takes a couple of turns which results in more damage. If that were lessened in wilderness (to no instant death) you just could exit to the wilderness, unequip the armor (which in wilderness takes but one turn) and avoid death by moving to a different location.
I don't think this is an issue; it's a very unnecessary tactic. It's really obvious to anybody who's played more than a couple of dozen games whether armour is iron or not from the weight, and this would only be a difference of a few points of damage. Anybody with an advanced enough knowledge of game mechnics to consider this is very unlikely to want to randomly equip-id a load of potentially iron armour in this way. I can't ever see anybody abusing this mechnic to any real benefit. I'd certainly never do it, and I do all sorts of scummy things for an advantage. :)

07-07-2014 07:23 AM

+ Reply