Racially preferred weapons
issueid=4360 07-29-2016 02:26 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Blank4u47: 29
Racially preferred weapons

It occurred to me that certain races should gain some minor weapon bonuses for certain weapory. For example high elves gain 10% reduction for skill marks in bows and swords, grey elves gain quarterstaffs, dark elves daggers and thrown daggers. Orcs get 10% reduction in spears, dwarves in axes plus thrown axes/hammers. Troll get 2 handed and clubs, ratlings whips, humans get 5% reduction in everything, hurthlings and gnomes keep their current bonuses of course.

Additionally there could be a minor (+1) to hit bonus for racially preferred weapons (except for humans) to help early game characters a little.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4360
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r66 (v2.2.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-29-2016 10:20 PM
Ancient Member
Another way of implementing this would be to allow each race one additional talent (similar to mithril skin for dwarves)
For example "Dedication to Twohanded Weapons", +3 to-hit when wielding a two-handed weapon, prerequisites "Affinity with Twohanded Weapons" and Troll.

07-29-2016 10:20 PM
The only thing this makes me realize is that I want to do a Ratling duelist that uses whips.

I'm not sure the early game needs to be easier, right now it's at the right level of challenging in my opinion.

07-29-2016 10:47 PM
Ancient Member
Well, you already get the 2 weapon ranks in whichever weapon you begin with. I don't see much point in going beyond that unless it's a dramatic effect (like hurthling's extra ranks in thrown rocks).

07-29-2016 11:00 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by pjsb1
The only thing this makes me realize is that I want to do a Ratling duelist that uses whips.

I'm not sure the early game needs to be easier, right now it's at the right level of challenging in my opinion.
I guess my aim is to create a bit more difference in races. I don't think reducing required weapon marks by 10% will really make a huge difference in early or mid-game, and +1 to hit is pretty small as well, but it may help a little bit early on with a new player.

I like the idea of more racial specific talents though

Pjsb1, duelist with whips are a ton of fun, I've closed the gate with a few, and I feel this class was made for whips :)

07-30-2016 05:30 AM
If only there were any whips (without strong ego luck), or whip-like weapons that was any good as an actual weapon and dropped with anything even looking like consistency. Maybe add some kind of Spiked Chain or something (even through that might be a two-handed hence not valid for Duelists)

07-30-2016 05:50 AM
You already get racial bonuses to preferred weapons due to racial stats and skills, as well as starting marks in it.
And that's the way it should really be - you don't get better with rapiers due to having pointed ears, but due to higher agility, intelligence and skill.

07-30-2016 11:44 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
You already get racial bonuses to preferred weapons due to racial stats and skills, as well as starting marks in it.
And that's the way it should really be - you don't get better with rapiers due to having pointed ears, but due to higher agility, intelligence and skill.
I didn't assume that 'pointed ears' was the main reason elves should be better with sword, rather the race itself as a culture knew more ways to fight with a given weapon due to their focus on training it. This would expand the knowledge of the character allowing them to gain mastery at an improved pace.

Furthermore, the starting weapon marks with a given weapon are assumed from the journey to drakalor chain, not from racial training.

+ Reply