Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Useless Talents

Quote Originally Posted by Sami View Post
    I did some testings with good learner and great learner some years ago and my results were that good learner has a bug... It didn't seem to increase xp gained by 2%, instead it increases it by about 50%! With great learner xp gained was smaller than with good learner alone (maybe ~5% as it's supposed to be).

The tests were done by creating around 50-100 characters (spellcasters and archers) with and without good or great learner talent and heading to kill Hotzenplotz straight away and noting the xp gained.
    I have found this too, but have also found that it is in some way temporary. After a number of kills or levels or something it stops working. Perhaps worth investing in just before going to an xp rich area like the Tower.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I just did a quick test as suggested using ADOM bot. A human wizard with 100 concentration recovered 2987 power points in 5000 turns (0.5974 points per turn). A human wizard with 100 concentration recovered 3094 power powers in 5000 turns (0.6188 points per turn). The effect of charged, stacked with concentration, is of the order 100 points per 5000 turns, or 0.02 points per turn.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Evidently it stacks. 1 point per 50 turns... useless?

From what I'm starting to find out most of the talents don't seem all that helpful.

I mean theres the speed talents that can really save you at the start, for example out running Yrrigs the crazy carpenter.

Also for me I only play grey elf Wizards trying to get that first win still, and something else I've notice is the denfese talents like careful, very careful might as well be like another sheild.

these are must haves but most talents don't seem to back enough punch to actually be that helpful

There are only a handful of talents that are really exceptional... speed talents (and/or long stride), lightning/quick shot for anyone with archery, porter line for non-caster packrats. Treasure hunter for many people. Most of the rest are just a bonus. Where talents do make a big difference is in the level 1-8 range, where one or two extra points of something might mean the difference between life and death.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    There are only a handful of talents that are really exceptional... speed talents (and/or long stride), lightning/quick shot for anyone with archery, porter line for non-caster packrats. Treasure hunter for many people. Most of the rest are just a bonus. Where talents do make a big difference is in the level 1-8 range, where one or two extra points of something might mean the difference between life and death.
    I heard archer talents are not bad either...
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

I just did a quick test as suggested using ADOM bot. A human wizard with 100 concentration recovered 2987 power points in 5000 turns (0.5974 points per turn). A human wizard with 100 concentration recovered 3094 power powers in 5000 turns (0.6188 points per turn). The effect of charged, stacked with concentration, is of the order 100 points per 5000 turns, or 0.02 points per turn.
    Another thing to test, is changing the natural PP regeneration rate. If it scales with that, it could be more usful than the 1/50 point per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    I heard archer talents are not bad either...
    I mentioned lightning/quick shot, the two best archer talents. Together, the others aren't too bad either, I suppose.

Nice. I guess I was mistaken when I said it doesn't stack. I've never tested it, but I've picked it on several casters and noticed no real change.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I have found this too, but have also found that it is in some way temporary. After a number of kills or levels or something it stops working. Perhaps worth investing in just before going to an xp rich area like the Tower.
    It's great for challenge games. I picked it on like all of my Ironman attempts. Speaking of which, I should probably just finish the last one and get it off my HD.