Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Useless Talents

Speed can be a penalty.
    The porter line doesn't matter if you have a stupid amount of strength.
    The shield talents can be better than the careful line, depending on your character setup.

I consider most of the 'throwing weapon' talents to be
    mostly worthless. Add 'strong legs' in there while you're
    at it, as even my monks never kick anything but walls.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

The porter talents can be quite good. Large strength score gives even more benefit to these talents. Some people simply want to bring all kinds of potentially useful items, even junk, and there's nothing wrong in trying to help these people. Potentialwise, these talents at least have a very good percentage ratio of 70%. Also, percents dont fade as you gain skills, stats, and levels. From my point of view, I can comfortably become strained while under effects of strength of atlas during a normal course of (my) gameplay.
    ▼ All their fault. ▼

And for normal people it's nice to have decent carrying capacity without SoA or hugely scummed St.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

One thing the porter really helps in is carrying moloch armor... Even PCs with really good St can be overwhelmed by that.

All the ranged weapon affinity talents that don't count for Missile Weapon Master should be shot with shit.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

> should be shot with shit.

Yeah! By someone who took the 'shit-throwing' affinity.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    > should be shot with shit.

Yeah! By someone who took the 'shit-throwing' affinity.
    Which should be shot with shit 'cause it doesn't count for Missile Weapon Master.

Worth it talents IMO (somewhat ordered by priority, but not necessarily):

Long Stride: *if* you don't get MP reduction abilities like monks and barbarians

Treasure Hunter: Excellent, even for 3 talents.

Speed Line

Quick shot line: *if* you are an archer

PV line: 3 talents for mithril skin if dwarf I believe. From experience IIRC that mithril skin only requires iron skin as a prerequisite, contrary to what the GB says

Book Caster Line: non-pure spellcasters mostly (especially barbarians), some use for pure spellcasters, but this would come a bit late for it it matter that much.

Porter line: you really don't need *that* much stuff...unless you are a monk. Made obsolete by bookcasting SoA

Shield line: if you are playing a monk or someone with vanquisher or some other nice artifact weapon, this may not be a good choice. Otherwise better than DV line.

DV line: Potentially worth very little as well.

Healthy: most people don't need this, but if you start without healing or candle you may *need* this (barbarian for instance, though my most recent barbarians have been getting precrowned with preserver).

I think this is more than the amount of talents that a lvl50 char would have. The rest are useless (yes, gut, immune to pain isn't worth anything). I honestly don't see what's the deal with missile/melee weapon master either. So many useless talents to get prior to them.

Definitely Basher line if you got one of the awesome heavy artifacts. Combined with slaying power the damage bonus is pretty significant.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.