Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter forum game or maybenot...

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    For major style points, wish for cute puppies and kill them off... double style points if a cute puppy kills you.
    Any creature in the world of ADOM that can possibly deal damage can kill a character with all starting stats at 1.

Just tried this out, heh.. 1 HP start .

- wish for wands of death, cloaks of invisibility
    - dust Hotz for 6 levels only
    - kill Yergius and buy gear at BM
    - train Str in Munxip's store
    (die wishing for quickling bard)
    - profit?

Sounds interesting. I like gut's idea of a team where if you die the team plays on, but minus that player and minus his wish. You lose a point for every player that dies, and gain a point for unspent starting wishes (so best score is 5, worst is -5, assuming 5 players and 5 wishes).

prime, I don't think any of us should go out testing ideas before the challenge. Better that we earn our points from trying out untested theories - those with the greatest ADOM analysis abilities win.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

So how would the teams be arranged? School yard style with team captains? As far as the wishing goes... maybe Rings of Elemental mastery, Halberd of Defense, Bracers of toughness(?) to get things going

Sounds interesting, I'm up for it
    I would suggest the following:
    The game should not be played to completion; St can be raised to a reasonable level very quickly, and herbs will take care of Dx and To. When the game progresses to that point, it's no different from a normal game, and the unique difficulties of the challenge will be lost. I think the challenge should be structured more like a Mission Impossible game, where the PC has to accomplish certain goals, they could be:
    get the cute puppy from the cave (alive or dead)
    defeat Keethrax
    reach the HMV
    completely explore the gremlin cave
    obtain the RotHK
    go to Darkforge and kill Kherab and 20 steel golems
    obtain the Sceptre
    etc...
    Each mission can come with a "wish rating", and the PC is only allowed a certain number of wishes based on the mission's difficulty (maybe 1 for the puppy and 4 for sceptre). A scoring system can be set up to tally up the number of missions accomplished and gauge the teams' performance.
    The pacing of the challenge should be very quick so that people don't lose interest waiting for inactive teammates. I think players in a team need not play in turns; whoever feels like taking the PC should just tell his team and do it. I think everyone here will be considerate enough to divide up the playing as evenly as possible so that no one will feel left out.

Surviving start is hard enough believe me. It is not only 1hp. Speed penalty, to hit penalty, minimal vision radius.

Re: gardening/BuGwill and so on. I tested stuff some time ago. I see no problems. While you might see some it is not like the win [or getting into position where you fix main stats] is given.

I have strong disliking to missions/cornerstones and things a like. The simplier ruling [start with one stats and xRoDS procede to win the game] the better
    Last edited by Soirana; 01-17-2010 at 02:36 AM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Our various competitions in the past have shown that winning the game is far from easy with a good starting char... Besides, we are most likely to have waves of deaths at the start regardless.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I would spend my wish on leaving the Chain and hiding in a dark cave, eating fish that have never seen the light of day for the rest of my pitiful life.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

I'm not dedicated to this idea, I'm just tossing it out there.

How about we cripple/inhance each save:
    rd 1 start - all stat intrinsics = 1
    rd 2 start - all stat intrinsics = 4
    You can keep all items.
    Honestly, we're already using ADOMbot, so why not?
    Each rd = 2000 turns?

Challenge should be structured for fast play, and 20 -30 days to completion, max.

Scoring system, I scoff at thee.

I kinda like the 'complete the mission' idea, but maybe structure it so that
    nobody is eliminated?

Player 1 wishes up a GoGS, dies on PC5, player 2 dies after a 7LB's wish,
    player 3 runs out of turns, 4 dies, player 1 succedes with eternium shields
    wish, next round begins with all players (and shields) intact. All other
    teams laugh at them, as nobody else took THAT long to finish rd 1.

No team captains.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

If player one has one wish he is sort of doomed [not 100% but close] i guess.

On other hand if he grinds out than most likely other wishes are less of interest as you already have some survival kit.

Not sure if i understand rest of your idea, Gut. [and i am still sober].

I can make that save without bot easily if this bothers you. Of course that would mean i manually did some temporal info juggling which is more or less same.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)